• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Aselith
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:08 AM)
Aselith's Avatar

Originally Posted by jwk94

Wait, why does this make sense for Dunkirk?

The movie isn't very good outside of visuals so they probably wanted to make the best case possible for it visually to try to win visually oriented categories.
BeardyChan
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:13 AM)
BeardyChan's Avatar
Iím gonna assume the reason screeners have been DVDís is the quality is crap enough that it doesnít affect sales when leaked. Being UHD it has a as of yet uncracked AACS 2.0 DRM that might make studios feel more comfortable sending higher res movies to voters. Just my guess
TARS
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 09:44 AM)
TARS's Avatar
They're going all out, I hope it works in their favor. The movie certainly deserves to get major awards.

Originally Posted by SCULLIBUNDO

I wonder what awards Dunkirk has a shot at now. They still gonna continue the joke of gifting Nolan films a sound-mixing award?

I think Sound Mixing, Sound Editing and Film Editing are actually Dunkirk's best chances. Cinematography is kind of 50/50 (in my opinion), depending on whether or not Blade Runner manages to grab a Best Picture nomination.
Last edited by TARS; 10-07-2017 at 10:11 AM.
T.O.P
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:45 AM)
T.O.P's Avatar

Originally Posted by btrboyev

Itís not an Oscar worthy movie, but thatís not saying much.

FYI, I liked the movie

Yup
Curious Puppy
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 10:40 AM)
Curious Puppy's Avatar

Originally Posted by robotrock

I'm sorry Deakins. One year you will get it.

He is literally guaranteed to win for Blade Runner 2049. Might be the best looking film he's ever shot and one of the best shot films since the original released.
Beer Monkey
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:01 AM)

Originally Posted by tbm24

So academy members donít all have fucking blu ray players by now? If they are going to judge these movies from production to acting, youíd fucking hope it was judged using the best equipment around. Did they judge stuff like life of pi on a dvd? Thatís tragic.

Most members who vote never see all the films in the given category.

The Academy is terrible political shite.

BAFTA and ACE have actual meaning.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(10-07-2017, 11:11 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Curious Puppy

He is literally guaranteed to win for Blade Runner 2049. Might be the best looking film he's ever shot and one of the best shot films since the original released.

Only matters if they push it or not. 2049 is a far better film in every way over Dunkirk, but if WB pushes Dunkirk over it. Dunkirk will get it.
holygeesus
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:20 AM)
holygeesus's Avatar

Originally Posted by BeardyChan

Iím gonna assume the reason screeners have been DVDís is the quality is crap enough that it doesnít affect sales when leaked. Being UHD it has a as of yet uncracked AACS 2.0 DRM that might make studios feel more comfortable sending higher res movies to voters. Just my guess

AACS2.0 has been cracked AFAIK. Even if it isn't, you can make almost 1:1 copies of encrypted titles that will destroy the quality of traditional DVD Screeners.

Seems an odd tactic to me.
spelen
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:31 AM)

Originally Posted by shintoki

Only matters if they push it or not. 2049 is a far better film in every way over Dunkirk, but if WB pushes Dunkirk over it. Dunkirk will get it.


"Far better film"? I disagree with your statement and if I do so will others surely. Give it a month and when the dust settles the we'll see how poeple feel about 2049. Maybe it does become the front runner or maybe ppl will slowly start to dislike it like what happened to la la land. Course come the winter Oscar bait season we might have to revaluate whatt the front runners are again.
RS4-
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:40 AM)
RS4-'s Avatar
Should send out 70mm ones.

Enjoyed 2049 over Dunkirk
hiredhand
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:03 PM)
hiredhand's Avatar
Unfortunately, I can't see Dunkirk winning anything other than technical awards. Best picture winners tend to be more "actor-oriented" whereas Dunkirk is almost a docudrama.

It's a shame because Dunkirk might be Nolan's best film and at least a return-to-form after few weaker films.
FTF
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:17 PM)
FTF's Avatar

Originally Posted by shira

But the Academy don't watch the movies

Now you asking them to have 4k TV's with 4k bluray????

Yeah this is my thought too. I don't expect many to be able to take advantage of the 4k copy they receive unfortunately.
Nategc20
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by shira

But the Academy don't watch the movies

Now you asking them to have 4k TV's with 4k bluray????

They all millionaires with screening rooms anyway.im sure they will find a way to watch a Blu-ray.
Allforce
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:32 PM)
Someone who's not me should look up and post the thread about an interview with an anonymous Academy voter.

People in here actually incredulous they don't own a blu-ray player but these voters mostly don't even watch the films at all or blow them off based on preconceived notions.

I think the line that got everyone riled up on GAF was the voter saying they only voted for whatever Pixar movie was nominated that year because it was the only one they heard of and not because they watched any of films. Something about not being bothered to vote for cartoons.
erlim
yes, that talented of a member
(10-07-2017, 02:40 PM)
erlim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discotheque

good, its silly going the old DVD route. though I imagine a lot of the academy is full of luddites.

this movie looks gorgeous too, should be seen in HD.

They probably don't actually watch the movies because they only have vhs players.
Kinyou
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:43 PM)
Kinyou's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nafai1123

I'm sure the pirates will rejoice.

I always figured that is one of the reasons most screeners are on DVD. Though shouldn't Dunkrik be available on blu ray anyway by the time screeners go out?
Last edited by Kinyou; 10-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.
TARS
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 02:55 PM)
TARS's Avatar

Originally Posted by hiredhand

Unfortunately, I can't see Dunkirk winning anything other than technical awards. Best picture winners tend to be more "actor-oriented" whereas Dunkirk is almost a docudrama.

You're right, although from what I gather, as of right now Nolan has higher (but still unlikely) chances of winning Best Director, which is crazy but well deserved. They have been rewarding the more technically impressive films in that category for the past few years.
shaneo632
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:07 PM)
shaneo632's Avatar
I remember when the Juno Blu-ray screener leaked like a decade ago and everyone was like, "wtf"
ShadowKingpin
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:10 PM)
ShadowKingpin's Avatar
Best Director hands down goes to Nolan, but BR2049 should get Deakins his for Cinematography. Then again, the cinematography for Dunkirk was top-notch.
Nightwing123
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:22 PM)
Nightwing123's Avatar
I really liked Dunkirk it was such a great experience to watch in a theater, so I wish them the best in their Oscar campaign.
CloudWolf
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:07 PM)
CloudWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Daedardus

Wait? Who are these voters? They don't even have a regular Blu-ray player?

That yearly Oscar voter thing Hollywood Reporter (?) does tells you all you need to know about the voters. They generally don't give a single fuck about movies.

"Animation awards? Well, those are kids movies anyway, so I'll vote for the film my kid likes the most."

"I don't like actor x, but I do like actor y, so movie z gets my vote for best picture."

"I didn't watch this movie, because a friend of mine saw it and he/she didn't like it."

"Editing? Well, movie x was my favorite film and it's also nominated for editing, so of course it's also the best edited movie."
Last edited by CloudWolf; 10-07-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Thread Tools