• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(10-06-2017, 11:25 PM)

Originally Posted by PeskyToaster

I got the Final Cut from amazon. Gonna watch it tonight then go see the movie maybe tomorrow.

Is this the best version to watch?
Rydeen
(10-06-2017, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

Yes, yes it is.
Cheebo
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

Final Cut is the cut to watch.
FantasticMrFoxdie
Mumber
(10-06-2017, 11:29 PM)
Was going to go watch this IMAX Matinee but Fandango's ticket show keeps erroring out

Sidenote: they are giving Free Funko Pops (Fandango VIP, free membership) wiith a purchase of a ticket
https://www.fandangofanshop.com/pop-...-2049-assorted

...but you can't purchase a ticket. -__-
WhateverItTakes
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Cheebo

Don't wanna spoil myself in the OT but I'll ask here...

I'm watching the director's cut literally right now and was the love scene with Deckard and the Replicant (Sophie? )super weird at the time as well? Felt far too aggressive. I mean film is gonna film but that shit didn't seem right to me.
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(10-06-2017, 11:33 PM)

Originally Posted by WhateverItTakes

I'm watching the director's cut literally right now and was the love scene with Deckard and the Replicant (Sophie? )super weird at the time as well? Felt far too aggressive. I mean film is gonna film but that shit didn't seem right to me.

It's a little rapey, yeah. : |
Gastone
(10-06-2017, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by WhateverItTakes

Stop writing on Gaf and focus on the movie. You obviously need to. Who is Sophie? You mean Rachel
WhateverItTakes
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Gastone

Stop writing on Gaf and focus on the movie. You obviously need to. Who is Sophie? You mean Rachel

You ain't wrong tbf.

Blonde Replicant is totally giving me Grey Fox vibes.
SuperEpicMan
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:48 PM)
Started watching the original on NowTV and what the hell is with the running commentary by Deckard, I’m guessing it is a version I’ve not seen before and I’m not sure I like it.
HariKari
(10-06-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by SuperEpicMan

Started watching the original on NowTV and what the hell is with the running commentary by Deckard, I’m guessing it is a version I’ve not seen before and I’m not sure I like it.

That's the theatrical cut. The studio fucked with the movie, if I recall correctly. Not there in the final cut.
SuperEpicMan
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:53 PM)

Originally Posted by HariKari

That's the theatrical cut. The studio fucked with the movie, if I recall correctly. Not there in the final cut.

Bleghhhhh this shit is awful.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(10-06-2017, 11:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Cheebo

Just rented the Ultra HD version from Google Play. Can't wait to watch it in 4K
KimonoNoNo
(10-07-2017, 12:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Curious Puppy

Really great review from Mark Kermode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8OIbWEHQM

That was the one I was waiting for, considering his involvement in the documentary.
Fjordson
(10-07-2017, 12:40 AM)
Final cut is definitely the one to watch imo. Not that the others are bad, just don't think there's any reason to not watch the final cut. Adds in some more even neon lighting in the street scenes, cleans up the Zhora scene where you could clearly see the stunt double, scrubbed out visible wires for some of the spinners, etc. Just lots of little improvements that make for an overall better experience.
Manny Calavera
(10-07-2017, 12:48 AM)
Got the 4k blu-ray of Blade Runner last week and have already watched it twice since and this is definitely the best the film has ever looked. Blade Runner is in my top 10 favorite films of all time and I never get tired of watching it even after seeing it probably 20 times during the years and the film just keeps getting better every time I see it. It's a thought provoking, atmospheric and visual masterpiece that you can analyze and interpret over and over again.I don't remember the last time I saw any other version than the final cut and I'm not planning to.

I've kept my expectations in check concerning the sequel but it looks great from everything I've seen and seems to have mostly positive reviews. I'd be happy if it ends up in my top 3 favorite Villeneuve films.
Alan-GAF
(10-07-2017, 12:51 AM)

Really great review from Mark Kermode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8OIbWEHQM

Came to post this!

I have just watched the review, i watched the movie yesterday and it's great.
Drahcir
(10-07-2017, 12:56 AM)

Are there any spoilers in Kermode's review? I'd like to check it out.
Guerrillas in the Mist
(10-07-2017, 01:04 AM)

He nails it on the head with his comments about the editing. The lack of quick cutting was incredibly refreshing - almost every shot felt like it had the amount of time it needed.
KimonoNoNo
(10-07-2017, 02:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Drahcir

Are there any spoilers in Kermode's review? I'd like to check it out.

No, he was at pains to dance around any possible story spoilers much to the amusment of Mayo.
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 03:33 AM)

Originally Posted by KimonoNoNo

No, he was at pains to dance around any possible story spoilers much to the amusment of Mayo.

Kermode's evasion is more fantastic than I've ever seen on film. It's almost as if he were talking about a Planet of the Apes film, but refused to mention the fucking Statue of Liberty. (Spoiler tags added for humorous effect, obviously.)
Dash_
(10-07-2017, 03:36 AM)
There is one small spoiler in Kermode's review, revealed early on in the film. That K's girlfriend, Joi, is AI (didn't know that going in myself).
Sub_Level
(10-07-2017, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by FantasticMrFoxdie

Was going to go watch this IMAX Matinee but Fandango's ticket show keeps erroring out

Sidenote: they are giving Free Funko Pops (Fandango VIP, free membership) wiith a purchase of a ticket
https://www.fandangofanshop.com/pop-...-2049-assorted

...but you can't purchase a ticket. -__-

Did you try ordering tickets from the theatre directly?
jason10mm
(10-07-2017, 03:52 AM)
I enjoyed the film, but felt that it was overlong and indulgent for the plot. Definitgely works as a sequel to BR, but over all I thought it ran out of steam about halfway through to the point where I could guess the reveals that the film took a long time to get to.

Some serious Oscar worthy effects though, the sex scene especially, the blending of CGI was perfect. I felt like I was watching a better version of HER :)

Is this a spoiler thread? I have serious issues with big chunks of the plot. I think this is a feature of the director, since I had similar issues with Arrival. Very interested in his vision of Dune.
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 04:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Dash_

There is one small spoiler in Kermode's review, revealed early on in the film. That K's girlfriend, Joi, is AI (didn't know that going in myself).

It's clearly signalled in the film, though, don't you think? But seriously, are character descriptions now spoilers? Do you want to make it even more difficult for people to communicate about the content of a film just to accommodate your fucking obsessive regard for your own weirdly prized ignorance?
Curious Puppy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by tonysidaway

It's clearly signalled in the film, though, don't you think? But seriously, are character descriptions now spoilers? Do you want to make it even more difficult for people to communicate about the content of a film just to accommodate your fucking obsessive regard for your own weirdly prized ignorance?

Point being is that its a nice reveal. I had no idea about it going in.
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 04:19 AM)

Point being is that its a nice reveal. I had no idea about it going in.

It's not a fucking reveal. It's a fact.
Curious Puppy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 04:21 AM)

It's not a fucking reveal. It's a fact.

Uh, it is a reveal. It was never acknowledged in the trailers, they even edited out the transparency in her scenes, and the first scene she's in is played for several minutes as if she's in another room until she appears as a hologram.
Dash_
(10-07-2017, 04:29 AM)

No need for the hostility. I didn't know going in and thought other people might want the same.
RS4-
(10-07-2017, 04:33 AM)

Uh, it is a reveal. It was never acknowledged in the trailers, they even edited out the transparency in her scenes, and the first scene she's in is played for several minutes as if she's in another room until she appears as a hologram.

Yeah, this is what I felt too.
Baron_Calamity
(10-07-2017, 04:55 AM)
That movie was amazing. It was the shortest almost 3 hour movie ever.
h1nch
(10-07-2017, 05:13 AM)
Got tickets for noon tomorrow. I'm so pumped, been re-watching the first film multiple times this week. My body is ready!
Hasphat'sAnts
(10-07-2017, 05:14 AM)
O shit we've got real spoilers in here now?

I'm out
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 12:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Dash_

No need for the hostility. I didn't know going in and thought other people might want the same.

But how am I supposed to know that? To me, the "spoiler" is that Joi's nature isn't common knowledge.

It's as if the word "spoiler" were some magic invisible substance that can attach itself to trivia, even facts that are mentioned in reviews. Again, how can I, or anybody else, ever know that it's a spoiler until somebody tells us? It's a wonderful paradox.
Qvoth
(10-07-2017, 12:59 PM)
Holy fucking shit
Amazing movie, lightyears better than the original
Grazzt
(10-07-2017, 01:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Qvoth

Holy fucking shit
Amazing movie, lightyears better than the original

Just finished, have to agree.
The movie is beautiful
foolia
(10-07-2017, 01:24 PM)
Any chance we will ever get to listen to what Johann Johannsson cooked up before Zimmer and Wallfisch took over?
III-V
(10-07-2017, 01:45 PM)
Love the OG BR and BR2049 is no slouch. I would say it makes an equal rival. Different themes and focus. A real masterwork. Lots of elements of the 1st carry over, but there is original content and ideas in BR2049 as well. Bravo.
Poimandres
(10-07-2017, 02:59 PM)
I just watched the original (final cut) for tur first time in about 10 years. Primed and ready for this now!

I don't think the original is an unapproachable masterpiece (well, it is aesthetically) so it will be interesting to see how I feel about 2049.
jett
D-Member
(10-07-2017, 03:01 PM)

Originally Posted by foolia

Any chance we will ever get to listen to what Johann Johannsson cooked up before Zimmer and Wallfisch took over?

He probably didn't finish recording anything.
dragonfart28
(10-07-2017, 03:08 PM)
Boy did I watch something completely different than everyone else lol

Don't want to spoil the party, but I have to say I thought it was decent, just not anything really amazing or memorable.

I'm not sure how critical we should be of some obvious tropes in this film, since it's clearly an homage, but there are some predictable plot mechanisms and technological clichés in the movie that pulled me out.
purg3
slept with Malkin
(10-07-2017, 03:12 PM)
Going to see this in an hour. I haven't been this pumped to see a movie in a while.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
(10-07-2017, 03:19 PM)
Watching the final cut Thursday night really was a good idea before seeing 2049 last night. There are just enough callbacks to connect everything.

Also, I still want to buy some of the square Johnnie Walker.
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 03:21 PM)

Originally Posted by dragonfart28

I'm not sure how critical we should be of some obvious tropes in this film, since it's clearly an homage, but there are some predictable plot mechanisms and technological clichés in the movie that pulled me out.

Don't run down a film for having tropes. It's like criticising the script writer for his use of prose and punctuation.
daviyoung
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:27 PM)

Don't run down a film for having tropes. It's like criticising the script writer for his use of prose and punctuation.

Is the film more or less effective with them? If the answer is anything but more then by all means run down the film.
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 03:33 PM)

Originally Posted by daviyoung

Is the film more or less effective with them? If the answer is anything but more then by all means run down the film.

Does nobody understand the meaning of the word "trope" any more?
daviyoung
Banned
(10-07-2017, 03:36 PM)

Does nobody understand the meaning of the word "trope" any more?

Do you understand that use of tropes is not free from judgment?
tonysidaway
(10-07-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by daviyoung

Do you understand that use of tropes is not free from judgment?

Fair point. I get a bit prickly about people hammering on about tropes as if they were some uniquely ugly crime instead of just the way stories are told.
Bronetta
Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
(10-07-2017, 04:27 PM)
Dammit this movie had no right being as good as it is. Movie of the Year easily, even a friend agrees and he's never seen the original Blade Runner.

Saw it Thursday night and its been on my mind since, I'm definitely gonna have to see it again soon.
shamo42
(10-07-2017, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Jac_Solar

Also, the love/romance angle felt forced and completely random.

I haven't seen 2049 yet but that was exactly my thought after watching the original Blade Runner.
mariachi507
(10-07-2017, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Fjordson

Final cut is definitely the one to watch imo. Not that the others are bad, just don't think there's any reason to not watch the final cut. Adds in some more even neon lighting in the street scenes, cleans up the Zhora scene where you could clearly see the stunt double, scrubbed out visible wires for some of the spinners, etc. Just lots of little improvements that make for an overall better experience.

Yep, the only part I miss is the "I want more life fucker". If I remember correctly, Batty doesn't say anything to Sebastian afterwards either which is a bit more terrifying. Aside from that, the Final Cut is amazing.