• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Alfredo_V
Junior Member
(10-05-2017, 03:53 PM)
Alfredo_V's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kambing

Color temperature is the setting... that will change the white balance

Okay. So what did you change here, to achive better results?
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(10-05-2017, 03:54 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smokey

Last day of return period for my B6 65" OLED. Keeping it. The $1,500 I paid for it will make it easier to swallow the upgrade to a HDMI 2.1 OLED in the future. And funny enough my eyes are now we'll adjusted to the 65", and I find myself wanting the 77". Feel like that would be perfect for games. That size is well over 10k now in OLED..

...But it won't be in #2020

Yeah it'll be 9K
GinoFelino
Member
(10-05-2017, 04:06 PM)
GinoFelino's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smokey

Last day of return period for my B6 65" OLED. Keeping it. The $1,500 I paid for it will make it easier to swallow the upgrade to a HDMI 2.1 OLED in the future. And funny enough my eyes are now we'll adjusted to the 65", and I find myself wanting the 77". Feel like that would be perfect for games. That size is well over 10k now in OLED..

...But it won't be in #2020

Yeah man. That deal is too good. You made the right call.
Papo Swing
Member
(10-05-2017, 04:52 PM)
Papo Swing's Avatar
So I am planning on getting a 55" B7A, but I am searching for the best TV stand that could fit my apartment. I can't use a wall mount so going with a stand with mount.

Do you know if these are good or if the TV stand with Mount concept is not recommended.

I also need a smaller stand in length. Do you think this one would work for it even if it is for a 47"

https://www.amazon.com/Whalen-Furnit...and+with+mount
Kyoufu
(10-05-2017, 05:03 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smokey

Last day of return period for my B6 65" OLED. Keeping it. The $1,500 I paid for it will make it easier to swallow the upgrade to a HDMI 2.1 OLED in the future. And funny enough my eyes are now we'll adjusted to the 65", and I find myself wanting the 77". Feel like that would be perfect for games. That size is well over 10k now in OLED..

...But it won't be in #2020

yes it will
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
(10-05-2017, 05:23 PM)
Smokey's Avatar
Why yall killing my vibe
e90Mark
Member
(10-05-2017, 05:32 PM)
e90Mark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papo Swing

So I am planning on getting a 55" B7A, but I am searching for the best TV stand that could fit my apartment. I can't use a wall mount so going with a stand with mount.

Do you know if these are good or if the TV stand with Mount concept is not recommended.

I also need a smaller stand in length. Do you think this one would work for it even if it is for a 47"

https://www.amazon.com/Whalen-Furnit...and+with+mount

I wouldn't be too worried about the size recommendation. Usually that's so the TV will fit comfortably, without hanging off the edges too much.

Originally Posted by Smokey

Why yall killing my vibe

Good to be positive, but they're just being realistic haha.
Weevilone
Member
(10-05-2017, 06:02 PM)
Weevilone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smokey

Why yall killing my vibe

You got a great deal, should keep. I think I paid $1800 for my 55E6 and I'm happy. Damn just looked and I've had it 11 months already.
Dr.Horrible
Member
(10-05-2017, 07:14 PM)
Dr.Horrible's Avatar
Whelp, decided to splurge and got the 75" Sony 900. Delivery coming this weekend.
Triggerhappytel
Member
(10-05-2017, 08:15 PM)
Triggerhappytel's Avatar
Hi folks. I need a new TV due to our old one having given up the ghost, and I am thinking of this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6873578

I'm not mega-fussed about 4K but it seems like an okay investment for future-proofing, and I want a TV with HDR for gaming. This is about as big as we can go otherwise it'll be too large for our living room, and I don't know much about TVs but I've generally been looking only at Sony, Samsung or LG fir affordable sets of good quality. Can anyone offer any advice, tell me if this is a good price for what we're getting or tell me if there's anything I've forgotten? I defer to your superior knowledge. Thanks all.
Kambing
Member
(10-05-2017, 08:20 PM)
Kambing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alfredo_V

Okay. So what did you change here, to achive better results?

Hey mate, the correct color temperature is around W48. I'll add comparison picks between my calibrated HDR mode and HDR Game in this post later after i'm done with work.
GinoFelino
Member
(10-05-2017, 08:23 PM)
GinoFelino's Avatar

Originally Posted by Triggerhappytel

Hi folks. I need a new TV due to our old one having given up the ghost, and I am thinking of this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6873578

I'm not mega-fussed about 4K but it seems like an okay investment for future-proofing, and I want a TV with HDR for gaming. This is about as big as we can go otherwise it'll be too large for our living room, and I don't know much about TVs but I've generally been looking only at Sony, Samsung or LG fir affordable sets of good quality. Can anyone offer any advice, tell me if this is a good price for what we're getting or tell me if there's anything I've forgotten? I defer to your superior knowledge. Thanks all.

I'm not very knowledgeable about good UK deals, but this isn't a very good set for HDR. You're better off spending a little more. Rtings has a very easy to understand range of recommendations if you feel like doing some research.
Triggerhappytel
Member
(10-05-2017, 08:47 PM)
Triggerhappytel's Avatar

Originally Posted by GinoFelino

I'm not very knowledgeable about good UK deals, but this isn't a very good set for HDR. You're better off spending a little more. Rtings has a very easy to understand range of recommendations if you feel like doing some research.

Alright, thanks Ryback. I'll give that site a look.
EvB
Member
(10-05-2017, 08:49 PM)
EvB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Triggerhappytel

Alright, thanks Ryback. I'll give that site a look.

If you want HDR you need to be looking at spending twice that.
Kyoufu
(10-05-2017, 10:12 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Triggerhappytel

Hi folks. I need a new TV due to our old one having given up the ghost, and I am thinking of this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6873578

I'm not mega-fussed about 4K but it seems like an okay investment for future-proofing, and I want a TV with HDR for gaming. This is about as big as we can go otherwise it'll be too large for our living room, and I don't know much about TVs but I've generally been looking only at Sony, Samsung or LG fir affordable sets of good quality. Can anyone offer any advice, tell me if this is a good price for what we're getting or tell me if there's anything I've forgotten? I defer to your superior knowledge. Thanks all.

Let's just say that my 4500 OLED TV is not even close to being future-proof, so unfortunately the XE70 isn't going to do the job for you in the long term.

The absolute minimum you'd need to get would be the XE90 for a satisfactory 4K HDR experience.
Ashhong
Member
(10-05-2017, 11:48 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr.Horrible

I'm looking at the 75" which is $3298 where I intend to buy it and it's $2,319 at ebuy and $1,999 at TV Superstores right now. Assuming things don't get too busy at work today, I expect to buy it over my lunch hour.

Goddamn 75 inches! If you have the choice, I would try to match with ebuy. Either way you only get 500$
Metalstrike
Junior Member
(10-05-2017, 11:52 PM)
Metalstrike's Avatar
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perma...rn-in-lcd-oled

Rtings Burn in testing week 5 update.

OLED burn in/retention getting worse :/
Lockjaw333
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:40 AM)
Lockjaw333's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kambing

Honestly you guys really should not worry too much about the gamma setting. Choose what you think looks best. They vary so differently from set to set, and the 'targets' are very inaccurate, despite what their name suggest. Case in point, look at my gamma curve at the 2.4 gamma mode on a C7 that D-Nice took pre calibration.

PRE-CALIBRATION (2.4 gamma mode)



POST-CALIBRATION DAY TIME (2.4 gamma mode)



My night time gamma target is 2.35, using the same 2.4 gamma mode.

Well, I think gamma is probably the most important variable beyond the basics of setting your brightness and contrast correctly. It has such a big impact on overall PQ in my opinion, I think it's more important than actual accuracy of the individual colors. A display with a correct white point and perfect 2.2 gamma looks amazing.

Too many displays have awful gamma curves. They either are too far off the power function over the range of values, or they are jacked up at specific points of the curve, particularly in the low near-black end. To me the near black performance is one of the most important parts of the picture quality of a display- too low gamma and dark areas look artificially enhanced or bright. Too high gamma and you are crushing detail. Gamma is really important.

You are right that is varies so much between different displays, even among the same model. Monitors are usually worse with this than these higher end TV's, but it's still an issue that annoys me. For the price of some of these displays, they should really be calibrated better from the factory.
RedlineRonin
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:51 AM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar
Wow

Cuphead looks incredible
ukas
Member
(10-06-2017, 02:15 AM)
ukas's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalstrike

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perma...rn-in-lcd-oled

Rtings Burn in testing week 5 update.

OLED burn in/retention getting worse :/

Lol, you're expecting it to get better as time goes on?
Metalstrike
Junior Member
(10-06-2017, 02:31 AM)
Metalstrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by ukas

Lol, you're expecting it to get better as time goes on?

No, it obviously won't get better as time goes on.

I'm curious to see how bad this will eventually get.
Dr.Horrible
Member
(10-06-2017, 02:35 AM)
Dr.Horrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

Goddamn 75 inches! If you have the choice, I would try to match with ebuy. Either way you only get 500$

I sit a solid 10-11 feet away, so I figured I'd upgrade from my old 65" Samsung.

That's my plan regarding the price match :)
III-V
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:29 PM)
III-V's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalstrike

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perma...rn-in-lcd-oled

Rtings Burn in testing week 5 update.

OLED burn in/retention getting worse :/

The set is fairing better than I thought it would. OLED has come a long way in the last 3-4 years.
Papo Swing
Member
(10-06-2017, 04:50 PM)
Papo Swing's Avatar
I have few other questions:
  1. I see a few 'Certified Refurbished' B7A 55" models on Amazon. Do any of you have experience are these ok?
  2. I see a few others at cheaper prices than the normal price from other vendors are these legit?
  3. Edit: Forgot to ask if: Deals are expected for these kinds of sets in or around Black Friday
Last edited by Papo Swing; 10-06-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Beer Monkey
Member
(10-06-2017, 07:55 PM)
Black Friday deals will definitely happen.

Seeing a little movement on price this week. Legit seller firstclasstvs (iElectrica) on Ebay dropped the OLED65B7A from $2499 to $2299 in the last day. Beach Camera is selling it for $2200 if you call them. Cleveland Plasma is in the $2200 to $2300 range I think.

I'm thinking we may see $2000 as the normal non-advertised price by Halloween.
Papo Swing
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:01 PM)
Papo Swing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beer Monkey

Black Friday deals will definitely happen.

Seeing a little movement on price this week. Legit seller firstclasstvs (iElectrica) on Ebay dropped the OLED65B7A from $2499 to $2299 in the last day. Beach Camera is selling it for $2200 if you call them. Cleveland Plasma is in the $2200 to $2300 range I think.

I'm thinking we may see $2000 as the normal non-advertised price by Halloween.

Is Beach Camera legit? They have a featured entry on Amazon for the B7A 1 Year Extended Warranty (Certified Refurbished) for 1,600 no tax.

Are they a good retailer? Delayed shipping kind of store?

Edit: if this is legit I will jump in, but I can wait since the main reason for getting the TV is the XOX which comes out November 7
e90Mark
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:07 PM)
e90Mark's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papo Swing

Is Beach Camera legit? They have a featured entry on Amazon for the B7A 1 Year Extended Warranty (Certified Refurbished) for 1,600 no tax.

Are they a good retailer? Delayed shipping kind of store?

Edit: if this is legit I will jump in, but I can wait since the main reason for getting the TV is the XOX which comes out November 7

I haven't bought a TV from Beach, but some other camera related things. They're legit, haven't had an issue.
Beer Monkey
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Papo Swing

Is Beach Camera legit? They have a featured entry on Amazon for the B7A 1 Year Extended Warranty (Certified Refurbished) for 1,600 no tax.

Are they a good retailer? Delayed shipping kind of store?

Edit: if this is legit I will jump in, but I can wait since the main reason for getting the TV is the XOX which comes out November 7

Beach is legit but I wouldn't buy a refurb personally.

Do you have a credit card with price protection?

I'm ordering my set around the 25th because I get back from vacation on the 29th. I get the X1X on Nov 7 (set should arrive by then), and I'll execute price protection on Black Friday to get somewhere between $200 and $500 back on my TV purchase.
DarkMehm
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:18 PM)
Just bought the LG 65W7 for 3099 including shipping costs. Couldn't be more thrilled. Hope it arrives in 3-4 weeks as promised. Is the soundbar any good?
Papo Swing
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:20 PM)
Papo Swing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beer Monkey

Beach is legit but I wouldn't buy a refurb personally.

Do you have a credit card with price protection?

I'm ordering my set around the 25th because I get back from vacation on the 29th. I get the X1X on Nov 7 (set should arrive by then), and I'll execute price protection on Black Friday to get somewhere between $200 and $500 back on my TV purchase.

Hmm so that CC price protection means if I buy something and it goes down in price I get the difference returned?

What is the time window for that purchases?
Weevilone
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:24 PM)
Weevilone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Papo Swing

Hmm so that CC price protection means if I buy something and it goes down in price I get the difference returned?

What is the time window for that purchases?

The terms for every card are different.

I just submitted 3 for my Citi the other day, and the price drop has to be within 60 days. I had 180 days to submit the stuff.
Ashhong
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:25 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by DarkMehm

Just bought the LG 65W7 for 3099 including shipping costs. Couldn't be more thrilled. Hope it arrives in 3-4 weeks as promised. Is the soundbar any good?

Mother fucker.

Post pictures!!!

The soundbar is supposed to be good..but who knows
Yappadappadu
Member
(10-07-2017, 04:09 AM)
Yappadappadu's Avatar
Yeah, these last days several german stores popped up that sell the 65W7V for 3.000 + shipping. It's currently cheaper than the 65G7 and the 65E7.
If I didn't have to rely on using a TV with a normal stand I would be tempted as well.
smuf
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:21 AM)
smuf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yappadappadu

Yeah, these last days several german stores popped up that sell the 65W7V for 3.000 + shipping. It's currently cheaper than the 65G7 and the 65E7.
If I didn't have to rely on using a TV with a normal stand I would be tempted as well.

That's a great price. Too bad about the soundbar though. I'd never use it since I have a decent receiver and speaker setup and would have a hard time hiding the soundbar.
Tarin02543
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Metalstrike

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perma...rn-in-lcd-oled

Rtings Burn in testing week 5 update.

OLED burn in/retention getting worse :/

No, I will not buy a QLED.
Kyoufu
(10-07-2017, 10:54 AM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by smuf

That's a great price. Too bad about the soundbar though. I'd never use it since I have a decent receiver and speaker setup and would have a hard time hiding the soundbar.

Well, that's where all the internals are housed in so there's no avoiding it even without the soundbar.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(10-07-2017, 02:02 PM)
dark10x's Avatar
Anyone know what the input lag results are when using the PC icon/mode with the B6? Does it increase latency?
Kyoufu
(10-07-2017, 02:11 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

Anyone know what the input lag results are when using the PC icon/mode with the B6? Does it increase latency?

It does increase latency, yes. Last I heard it was in the 70ms range for a 2160p signal.

The PC icon is only recommended for the series 7 models sadly.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(10-07-2017, 02:21 PM)
dark10x's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

It does increase latency, yes. Last I heard it was in the 70ms range for a 2160p signal.

The PC icon is only recommended for the series 7 models sadly.

If that's true then I've discovered a problem.

Playing Cuphead, I noticed minor stuttering and hitching in the game on the OLED that I did not get on the captured footage.

After some messing around, I discovered that this is a fault of the TV. If you're using any other mode besides the PC mode, you get stuttering. The TV is causing this issue. Now, I've only seen it in Cuphead but it worries me about other content as well. Something that game is doing is causing issues here that PC mode eliminates.

Are we sure that PC mode really weighs in at 70ms?! I saw that on RTINGS but I'm not sure they updated the "supported resolutions" column like they did with the input lag column.

Honestly, between this and the firmware BS, I'm getting very annoyed with this TV's shortcomings.
Kudo
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:23 PM)
Kudo's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

If that's true then I've discovered a problem.

Playing Cuphead, I noticed minor stuttering and hitching in the game on the OLED that I did not get on the captured footage.

After some messing around, I discovered that this is a fault of the TV. If you're using any other mode besides the PC mode, you get stuttering. The TV is causing this issue. Now, I've only seen it in Cuphead but it worries me about other content as well. Something that game is doing is causing issues here that PC mode eliminates.

Are we sure that PC mode really weighs in at 70ms?! I saw that on RTINGS but I'm not sure they updated the "supported resolutions" column like they did with the input lag column.

Honestly, between this and the firmware BS, I'm getting very annoyed with this TV's shortcomings.

Under PC mode, the input lag is 70.9 ms at 4k.

From Rtings, but yeah not sure if this is before or after the firmware updates.
Kyoufu
(10-07-2017, 02:30 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

If that's true then I've discovered a problem.

Playing Cuphead, I noticed minor stuttering and hitching in the game on the OLED that I did not get on the captured footage.

After some messing around, I discovered that this is a fault of the TV. If you're using any other mode besides the PC mode, you get stuttering. The TV is causing this issue. Now, I've only seen it in Cuphead but it worries me about other content as well. Something that game is doing is causing issues here that PC mode eliminates.

Are we sure that PC mode really weighs in at 70ms?! I saw that on RTINGS but I'm not sure they updated the "supported resolutions" column like they did with the input lag column.

Honestly, between this and the firmware BS, I'm getting very annoyed with this TV's shortcomings.

You could always just try it out and see how playable it is. 70ms is high enough to be immediately noticeable, especially in a game like Cuphead.

As for stuttering, I've not had any on my E6 in general so I'm not sure what would even cause that for one game. Odd!
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(10-07-2017, 02:32 PM)
dark10x's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

You could always just try it out and see how playable it is. 70ms is high enough to be immediately noticeable, especially in a game like Cuphead.

As for stuttering, I've not had any on my E6 in general so I'm not sure what would even cause that for one game. Odd!

I notice it right when starting a round. It looks like the game lurches between 30 and 60fps very briefly before smoothing out. It's very strange.
RedlineRonin
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:33 PM)
RedlineRonin's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

If that's true then I've discovered a problem.

Playing Cuphead, I noticed minor stuttering and hitching in the game on the OLED that I did not get on the captured footage.

After some messing around, I discovered that this is a fault of the TV. If you're using any other mode besides the PC mode, you get stuttering. The TV is causing this issue. Now, I've only seen it in Cuphead but it worries me about other content as well. Something that game is doing is causing issues here that PC mode eliminates.

Are we sure that PC mode really weighs in at 70ms?! I saw that on RTINGS but I'm not sure they updated the "supported resolutions" column like they did with the input lag column.

Honestly, between this and the firmware BS, I'm getting very annoyed with this TV's shortcomings.

Rtings is very responsive on Twitter. Id ask them to confirm.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(10-07-2017, 02:39 PM)
dark10x's Avatar
OK, reading up, it looks like this is a known issue that I somehow missed before and was fixed in some of the newer firmwares. The problem is, the German version went straight from 4.31.10 to the new firmware with the bad black levels.

4.31.15 or 20 seem to have fixed the stuttering issue. I wonder if there is a way to install that on this TV?
KharmaPolice
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:50 PM)
KharmaPolice's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

OK, reading up, it looks like this is a known issue that I somehow missed before and was fixed in some of the newer firmwares. The problem is, the German version went straight from 4.31.10 to the new firmware with the bad black levels.

4.31.15 or 20 seem to have fixed the stuttering issue. I wonder if there is a way to install that on this TV?

I still have 4.31.25 for the B6D sitting around on my harddrive. That's the newest one before they f'ed up the black levels. It's almost a gig though and I'm not sure where to upload it. Any idea?
smuf
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:54 PM)
smuf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

Well, that's where all the internals are housed in so there's no avoiding it even without the soundbar.

Surely they could make a smaller box for the internals and ditch the speakers altogether.

they'll never do this, but I can dream right
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(10-07-2017, 03:03 PM)
dark10x's Avatar

Originally Posted by KharmaPolice

I still have 4.31.25 for the B6D sitting around on my harddrive. That's the newest one before they f'ed up the black levels. It's almost a gig though and I'm not sure where to upload it. Any idea?

I found it and am installing 4.31.25 right now. Hoping that this solves the issue! Will let you know.

It's right here (for the German B6D only) yadi.sk/d/luKhgpy63JKEfY

Edit - YES! It worked. 4.31.25 is perfect. Motion is now flawless in Cuphead and using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvUIA7KUjc

On the older firmware, both that video and Cuphead showed a lot of judder and skipping. 4.31.25 solves that without causing bad black levels. Whew.
Last edited by dark10x; 10-07-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Kyoufu
(10-07-2017, 03:15 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by smuf

Surely they could make a smaller box for the internals and ditch the speakers altogether.

they'll never do this, but I can dream right

I think it'll happen eventually yeah. I can see them doing a "basic" W model without the speakers like the B series and a premium E/G model with speakers built-in.

They'll probably look to replacing their regular TVs with just a series of Wallpaper models at some point in the future.
KharmaPolice
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:21 PM)
KharmaPolice's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

I found it and am installing 4.31.25 right now. Hoping that this solves the issue! Will let you know.

It's right here (for the German B6D only) yadi.sk/d/luKhgpy63JKEfY

Edit - YES! It worked. 4.31.25 is perfect. Motion is now flawless in Cuphead and using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvUIA7KUjc

On the older firmware, both that video and Cuphead showed a lot of judder and skipping. 4.31.25 solves that without causing bad black levels. Whew.

Good to hear. I feel my B6 is going to stay on 4.31.25 forever. HLG is hardly worth the black level shenanigans, especially in Germany where I don't expect HLG content to arrive anytime soon.
Kyoufu
(10-07-2017, 03:25 PM)
Kyoufu's Avatar

Originally Posted by KharmaPolice

Good to hear. I feel my B6 is going to stay on 4.31.25 forever. HLG is hardly worth the black level shenanigans, especially in Germany where I don't expect HLG content to arrive anytime soon.

To be honest I doubt HLG will be much of a thing in any region ever. Those articles saying "HLG will be the next big thing in 4K" are laughable.

Thread Tools