• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

adamsappel
(10-07-2017, 12:10 AM)

Originally Posted by mcfrank

Anyone who thinks it was hard for him to get all that gear up there in 3 days has never been in Vegas around NAB conference time. Thousands of camera crews descend on Vegas, all wheeling giant boxes of camera and lighting equipment to their hotel rooms. No one stops them, or checks them, or even gives them a second look. Same with CES. A guy wheeling giant pelican cases up to his hotel room in Las Vegas would draw 0 suspicion from anyone on the hotel staff.

I heard a caller on the radio say there are gun shows in Vegas all the time, and nobody would even look twice at baggage like that.

Originally Posted by Steel

Oklahoma city bomber was working alone.

How soon we forget Terry Nichols.
BunnyBear
(10-07-2017, 12:29 AM)

Originally Posted by ekurisona

new (long) gopro video showing initial shots, crowd's delayed reaction, and crowds escaping en masse (sound of bullets passing overhead)

https://youtu.be/muiHkkbPpdU

People in this video are further away from the shooter but seem to react immediately, as opposed to the people closer to the stage. I wonder why?
lemmykoopa
(10-07-2017, 12:32 AM)

Originally Posted by BunnyBear

People in this video are further away from the shooter but seem to react immediately, as opposed to the people closer to the stage. I wonder why?

People far out were closer to the main exits.
BunnyBear
(10-07-2017, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by lemmykoopa

People far out were closer to the main exits.

Yeah but that doesnít explain how the people further away identity the gunshots and threat almost immediately. In other videos, people standing directly in front of the stage and much closer to the shooter literally stand around arguing about whether the cracking is gunfire.

Pretty fascinating.
jstripes
(10-07-2017, 12:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Euphoria14

Reading now that they were able to match up all the chargers and shit and are now convinced nobody was in the room prior to the shooting.

They still are looking into whether or not anyone else knew of his plan.

I still feel uneasy about the new news though because it doesnít address the room entry using one of his keycards while he was gone. Unless of course I missed it in the article.

This is the one Iím reading currently.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/la...attack-n808431

Wow, an ammo dealer said he tried to buy a whole load of tracer rounds from him.
water_wendi
Water is not wet!
(10-07-2017, 12:44 AM)

Originally Posted by adamsappel

I heard a caller on the radio say there are gun shows in Vegas all the time, and nobody would even look twice at baggage like that.

How soon we forget Terry Nichols.

Nichols was an accomplice but would not in any way be considered a "second gunman" because he wasnt there when the bomb went off.
D4Danger
(10-07-2017, 12:49 AM)

new (long) gopro video showing initial shots, crowd's delayed reaction, and crowds escaping en masse (sound of bullets passing overhead)

at about 3:11 you can hear the first few shots that I assume were done to get through the window

and then at about 5:08 there's a guy who points to the hotel and says "he's shooting from the window".

crazy stuff.
BunnyBear
(10-07-2017, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by D4Danger

at about 3:11 you can hear the first few shots that I assume were done to get through the window

and then at about 5:08 there's a guy who points to the hotel and says "he's shooting from the window".

crazy stuff.

People seem to start fleeing BEFORE the first shots ring out.
M52B28
(10-07-2017, 12:51 AM)

Yeah but that doesnít explain how the people further away identity the gunshots and threat almost immediately. In other videos, people standing directly in front of the stage and much closer to the shooter literally stand around arguing about whether the cracking is gunfire.

Pretty fascinating.

When you're further away from the commotion of the audience, you take in more information about the ambiance of the environment. Without the speakers and sound going on in the crowd, you're naturally going to be more aware of other things going on.

Additionally, bullets give off a startling crack noise that fireworks simply don't give away. That's due to their sonic signature. At their distance, you aren't hearing the actual gunshot (the stuff that sound like fireworks at certain distance), but the sound of a bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Trust me on this, it's riveting and probably some of the scariest things I've heard.
D4Danger
(10-07-2017, 12:55 AM)

people definitely react to the second lot of shots around 3:40. It's right as the song ends too so you can more clearly hear where they're coming from and people move towards the exit.
Euphoria14
(10-07-2017, 12:55 AM)

First shot occurred around the 3:12 mark, then a couple seconds later you can hear a few more.

Shortly after that you see people beginning to flee and then the steady stream of gunfire begins.
BunnyBear
(10-07-2017, 12:58 AM)

Originally Posted by M52B28

When you're further away from the commotion of the audience, you take in more information about the ambiance of the environment. Without the speakers and sound going on in the crowd, you're naturally going to be more aware of other things going on.

Additionally, bullets give off a startling crack noise that fireworks simply don't give away. That's due to their sonic signature. At their distance, you aren't hearing the actual gunshot (the stuff that sound like fireworks at certain distance), but the sound of a bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Trust me on this, it's riveting and probably some of the scariest things I've heard.

Makes sense to me. Iíve never been nearby a firing gun so excuse my ignorance.

I think what is confusing about that video is that it captures the lead-up and the first ACTUAL shots, well before other widely-distributed videos imply the gunshots started. The most popular video going around is the one that syncs all the different videos up, but even that doesnít seem to capture the initial few shots heard during the final moments of the song (at 3:11 in the GoPro video above).

I was under the impression the shooting started just before the singer flees, but it seems to have started about 20 to 25 seconds before that.
Last edited by BunnyBear; 10-07-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Lil'DigiOp
(10-07-2017, 01:07 AM)
Guys...

Im watching that gopro video, and i watched a few others, and its not really matching up.

This shit is weird. I think Ive given it too much thought.
Last edited by Lil'DigiOp; 10-07-2017 at 01:12 AM.
parrotbeak
(10-07-2017, 01:08 AM)
In one of the videos from the crowd it seemed like many in the audience who were near people who got shot didn't comprehend what was happening and just stood confused until others started to duck down and it was clear people were getting shot. There were probably people who figured it out immediately and people who had no idea what was happening even as they ran away. I read one photographer's account and he took pictures of people on the ground and didn't understand what he was seeing until he looked at the pictures on his computer.
Turbo Killer
(10-07-2017, 01:09 AM)

That was gut wrenching, fuck this asshole and fuck gun nuts and the NRA.
aaaaa0
(10-07-2017, 01:09 AM)
Jeesuz, a gun nut co-worker of mine just tried to say this mass shooting was the festival organizer's fault: they didn't have counter-sniper teams working security who could have stopped this before many people were hurt.

I'm like WTF.

This is Las Vegas, not a war zone. Should it be expected that you have to assign counter-sniper teams to a country music festival?!
GruntOfAction
(10-07-2017, 01:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Lil'DigiOp

Guys...

Im watching that gopro video, and i watched a few others, and its not really matching up.

I was able to sync the 10 minute video up with the go-pro one, everything matches up fine there..
Shadow Puppetry
(10-07-2017, 01:19 AM)

Originally Posted by aaaaa0

Jeesuz, a gun nut co-worker of mine just tried to say this mass shooting was the festival organizer's fault: they didn't have counter-sniper teams working security who could have stopped this before many people were hurt.

I'm like WTF.

This is Las Vegas, not a war zone. Should it be expected that you have to assign counter-sniper teams to a country music festival?!

They totally forgot to get a counter-sniper team. Good job, Jason Aldean.
Dreadnought
(10-07-2017, 01:23 AM)

I'm like WTF.

Who would want to live in a country where snipers should be expected at events in order to protect them.
Game-Biz
(10-07-2017, 01:24 AM)

Originally Posted by Dreadnought

Who would want to live in a country where snipers should be expected at events in order to protect them.

Seriously.
Persona7
(10-07-2017, 01:26 AM)
I remember seeing a sniper's nest at a huge music festival once. Really bizarre.
ekurisona
(10-07-2017, 01:35 AM)

i know this isn't what you meant but your comment reminded me of this from a few years ago...

https://deadspin.com/5883203/this-lo...the-super-bowl

https://deadspin.com/5883525/those-s...hotos-are-real
skullmuffins
(10-07-2017, 01:39 AM)

I'm like WTF.

that's absurd - we shouldn't have to monitor every public gathering like the president is speaking - but I guess I'll give him a little credit for finding a way to claim the solution is "more guns" without sounding like a total moron.
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(10-07-2017, 02:36 AM)

Originally Posted by skullmuffins

that's absurd - we shouldn't have to monitor every public gathering like the president is speaking - but I guess I'll give him a little credit for finding a way to claim the solution is "more guns" without sounding like a total moron.

Nah, still a fucking moron clinging to any excuse not to have less guns in maniacs' hands.
rokkerkory
(10-07-2017, 02:36 AM)
Watching cnn special report on the lives lost.

I am kinda broken watching it. So many amazong people lost.
ChainedMaster
(10-07-2017, 06:49 AM)

Originally Posted by otapnam

The crazy thing was him trying to hit gas tanks at McCarran airport. Dude was living out some murder death kill fantasy. Some legit insanity on display

SHIT. I just realized something. He was trying to buy tracer bullets. Tracer bullets are pyrotechnic, they have a small flare to illuminate the bullets path. Guess what happens if a tracer were to hit and penetrate the gas tanks? Strange though because the reports say the dealer he was trying to buy from didn't have as much as he wanted. You'd think he'd still take them if it still gave him a chance to blow them up.

Edit: Actually he did buy a thousand tracer rounds apparently. He didn't use them, though. If a tracer found its way to fuel though...oh boy.
shoepolishsmelling
(10-07-2017, 07:08 AM)

Originally Posted by ChainedMaster

SHIT. I just realized something. He was trying to buy tracer bullets. Tracer bullets are pyrotechnic, they have a small flare to illuminate the bullets path. Guess what happens if a tracer were to hit and penetrate the gas tanks? Strange though because the reports say the dealer he was trying to buy from didn't have as much as he wanted. You'd think he'd still take them if it still gave him a chance to blow them up.

Edit: Actually he did buy a thousand tracer rounds apparently. He didn't use them, though. If a tracer found its way to fuel though...oh boy.

Not all tracer rounds stay lit upon impact, nor is that their main purpose. They can cause fires after impact, the scumbag probably wanted to make corrections to his shooting on full auto easier by following tracers or to let him know when his magazines were almost empty.
It comes to a point right now with no note I wonder if we will ever find out this assholes motive.
skullmuffins
(10-07-2017, 07:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Chmpocalypse

Nah, still a fucking moron clinging to any excuse not to have less guns in maniacs' hands.

no, i mean, it's still dumb.... just less dumb than the idiots jumping to their go-to rationale and insisting that if only all the concertgoers were armed, they could have shot down the gunman - at night, in a hotel room 32 stories up and hundreds of yards away - with their, uh, concealed handguns?
(10-07-2017, 07:12 AM)
pretty sure itís been said the jet fuel thing was an accident and not hit purposely.
ChainedMaster
(10-07-2017, 07:22 AM)

Originally Posted by shoepolishsmelling

Not all tracer rounds stay lit upon impact, nor is that their main purpose. They can cause fires after impact, the scumbag probably wanted to make corrections to his shooting on full auto easier by following tracers or to let him know when his magazines were almost empty.
It comes to a point right now with no note I wonder if we will ever find out this assholes motive.

True but if say a regular bullet pentrates and manages to leak fuel, a tracer won't have to penetrate to light that fuel. I thought it was to correct his aim too but after seeing he targeted the fuel tanks thought maybe there was another reason as well. Perhaps the reason he didn't use it is because he knew it would give away his position.
rjinaz
(10-07-2017, 07:36 AM)

But if you live in America, you already do.
Johnny Cage In The Shower
(10-07-2017, 08:06 AM)

I'm like WTF.

Why stop at sniper (guards)?? they can't be 100% reliable.

Why not play it safe and design drones like in Half LIfe 2 or Minority Report, where they fly around and scan every single window of every single high rise near concerts and look inside for suspicious activity and weapons?

It's ironic that these gun nuts argument is "Don't take away my freedom of being able to buy firearms, instead the problem could be solved by taking away the freedom and privacy of everyone else doing anything fun, normal and decent.." How blind and selfish one can be?
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(10-07-2017, 08:37 AM)
I would think the first people to panic would be people who saw blood.

In the audio of one of the videos a girl is trying to convince some guys that it could be real gunfire and she really digs her heels in when she notices someone giving first aid.
Meus Renaissance
(10-07-2017, 12:01 PM)
https://twitter.com/escofree/status/916602715341557760
excelsiorlef
(10-07-2017, 12:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Meus Renaissance

The old white woman looked like she was going to flip a table at the end jesus.... Such rage at an accurate observation.
YoodiHoshi
(10-07-2017, 12:53 PM)
My step-sister was about to purchase a ticket to that exact concert, and I'm thankful she didn't.
Mahonay
(10-07-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Lil'DigiOp

Guys...

You are giving it too much thought.
ajim
(10-07-2017, 02:07 PM)

Wow. They all freaked out and put their back up against the wall without even listening.
Mahonay
(10-07-2017, 02:10 PM)

Man white people get easily shook when they get called out on their shit huh
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(10-07-2017, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by ajim

Wow. They all freaked out and put their back up against the wall without even listening.

That's what we white folks do best!

And it makes me fucking sick. How can you improve if you don't even want to lis-

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH. Right, white people are so 'superior' we don't have to improve.

/Ssssssssssssssssssarcasm
Hubbl3
(10-07-2017, 02:17 PM)

She tells it like it is, but this is exactly why I think nothing will ever change. They were basically like:

rjinaz
(10-07-2017, 02:17 PM)

That's like something I would expect to happen in a South Park episode. The reactions from the White people were real but it's embarrassing it wasn't satirical.
Turbo Killer
(10-07-2017, 02:30 PM)
I hope they never find any writings or motive from this guy, this way some morons will finally understand that anybody with a gun is capable of this regardless of mental condition. Hopefully that will put the fear in some people, but then again this is America.
Ovid
(10-07-2017, 02:54 PM)

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

The old white woman looked like she was going to flip a table at the end jesus.... Such rage at an accurate observation.

We (minorities) really live in different worlds/different lived experiences than white people. Some white people (like the people on this panel) just can accept that fact and try to see things from our perspective. If they did, the world would be a better place.

Look at how they ganged up on that woman to defend the status quo (no implicit bias in the coverage of the shooter).
Last edited by Ovid; 10-07-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Mahonay
(10-07-2017, 02:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Ovid

We (minorities) really live in different worlds/different lived experiences than white people. Some white people (like the people on this panel) just can accept that fact and try to see things from our perspective. If they did, the world would be a better place.

I'm white and fuck the response from those white people. Can't handle having their bubble of superiority burst on live air by a PoC. Seems more important to them that they don't look bad than actually facing reality.
Ovid
(10-07-2017, 02:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Mahonay

I'm white and fuck the response from those white people. Can't handle having their bubble of superiority burst on live air by a PoC. Seems more important to them that they don't look bad than actually facing reality.

Exactly.
blackflag
(10-07-2017, 03:00 PM)

Not only do they get humanized, they couldnít possibly have done it so thereís conspiracy theories built up around it.
Prash
(10-07-2017, 03:04 PM)
Did they find out the motive behind this heinous act?
BuddyTheBestPuppy
(10-07-2017, 03:04 PM)
nm
Mahonay
(10-07-2017, 03:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Prash

Did they find out the motive behind this heinous act?

Read the thread. We are literally talking about that right now.

No.