• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheVoidDragon
Member
(09-28-2017, 09:09 PM)
TheVoidDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leunam

I don't know if it's ever going to go past that. It's not definitive, but it adds depth to Tau. You can point to that and show people that they really aren't the force for 'good' some people mistake then for. Well that and their immediate action in crushing anyone who doesn't side with them right away. And possibly enslaving the Vespid.

Sure, the hints at their secretly being something else going on does add some mystery and depth to them, even if there isn't any real proof for it being outright true. Things like the Vespid support both sides though, it could be some form of control, or it could simply be because they could properly understand each other after that. There are suggestions that things are really not what they seem but you can't outright say it's true unless i've just completely missed something over the past few years.

The whole "crush anyone who refuses" though...i was under the impression that isn't true and that's more of a last resort. I can't remember where but i remember reading somewhere how they'd wait decades if they had to, and keep trying diplomacy for as long as they can. If the other race are really adamant they want nothing to do with the Tau but the Tau want them/whatever they have desperately enough, then they'd go that far. I don't think it's exactly a "Oh you said no once, we better destroy you then" situation.
Maledict
Member
(09-28-2017, 11:43 PM)
Maledict's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leunam

Ethereals having more than just surface level influence over Tau is something that's been hinted at for a very long time. I think that extends to Water Caste as well. I definitely remember it as far back as 4th edition. They have no warp presence but it could be they exert their influence by some other means, pheromones for instance.

Tau certainly know what Chaos is but probably can't understand its nature. I think Farsight is rebelling more against the control by Ethereals over his people.

Maybe I missed some lore or changes along the way, but I thought most of the Tau background / origins stuff implied that the Ethereal caste were a creation of the Eldar, and that the Tau are an attempt to create a chaos and warp immune force in the galaxy?
Leunam
Member
(09-29-2017, 04:11 PM)
Leunam's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

Sure, the hints at their secretly being something else going on does add some mystery and depth to them, even if there isn't any real proof for it being outright true. Things like the Vespid support both sides though, it could be some form of control, or it could simply be because they could properly understand each other after that. There are suggestions that things are really not what they seem but you can't outright say it's true unless i've just completely missed something over the past few years.

I think when Vespid were first introduced there was something that indicated that the helm the leaders wear was meant for communication (or control) which in turn would extend to the other Vespid in the strain.

Some background in Warhammer is inferred. There is a lot of hard canon but there are a few bits that are left to the imagination.

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

The whole "crush anyone who refuses" though...i was under the impression that isn't true and that's more of a last resort. I can't remember where but i remember reading somewhere how they'd wait decades if they had to, and keep trying diplomacy for as long as they can. If the other race are really adamant they want nothing to do with the Tau but the Tau want them/whatever they have desperately enough, then they'd go that far. I don't think it's exactly a "Oh you said no once, we better destroy you then" situation.

That might have changed. I remember the old codices gave a vibe of 'join us or die' to tie in with their rapid expansion but that could have softened over the years. If it did that's a shame because I like the sinister side that lends itself to.

Originally Posted by Maledict

Maybe I missed some lore or changes along the way, but I thought most of the Tau background / origins stuff implied that the Ethereal caste were a creation of the Eldar, and that the Tau are an attempt to create a chaos and warp immune force in the galaxy?

I've only read that from online discussions but I don't think I've stumbled across it in any of the codices. I'll have to take another look through the books. I think it could have come from that one old book that was meant to be an Imperial scientists observations on Xenos that he gleaned from his own research and autopsies. Never did pick up a copy.
Tacitus_
Member
(09-29-2017, 06:04 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar
lmao this tsundere Sister in the new book is really jealous of the Golden Boys

I studied them for a long time, trying not to be too envious, and often failing. I came to hate their quiet, steady resolve. They never complained, they never got angry. Everything with them was polished and reverent, like diplomats somehow siphoned into the suits of warriors. I might have thought they were automata had I not seen the way they moved a blade. Throne, they were even well spoken, and they treated me with such relentless politeness and consideration that I wanted to scream.
That was the core problem†–†I needed an excuse to loathe them, and they wouldn’t give me one.

I could have punched his big, elegant face. Now we were needed. Now we were wanted.

Originally Posted by Leunam

That might have changed. I remember the old codices gave a vibe of 'join us or die' to tie in with their rapid expansion but that could have softened over the years. If it did that's a shame because I like the sinister side that lends itself to.

It ultimately boils down to "join us or die", but they are known to spend years, even decades turning Imperial border worlds to Tau worlds through trade and diplomacy, if it's for the Greater Good.
Maledict
Member
(09-29-2017, 07:46 PM)
Maledict's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leunam

I

I've only read that from online discussions but I don't think I've stumbled across it in any of the codices. I'll have to take another look through the books. I think it could have come from that one old book that was meant to be an Imperial scientists observations on Xenos that he gleaned from his own research and autopsies. Never did pick up a copy.

The original lore had the Ethereals appearing in one single night, following a series of strange lights being seen in the air at night. They took control of Tau society instantly as Tau instinctively followed them. There was also an autopsy where they discovered the difference between ethereals and other Tau was the presence of a gland in the brain that came from another animal from a planet a long way away, which couldn't possibly have naturally evolved.

There was other stuff as well - it was never directly spelt out, but it seemed to be clear that the Tau were artificially supported in some way, and the Eldar fit better than anyone else.

(Remember,. their entire society in the original lore appeared basically overnight. They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible).
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-04-2017, 01:25 AM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar
Tau aren't warp/chaos immune, they just have dim souls.

There was a novel that dealt with a water caste tau being possessed by a Deamon, and wrecking havoc.

(possession can happen to anything, even a rock)

- ethereals ate heavily hinted at mind controlling tau around them through the gland in there head.

- the gland is not of natural origin, and is suspected to be a creation by the eldar, but that hint is vague. It to me was worded in such a manner that it could be a old one, man of iron, or some yet unknown force in the galaxy, even once of the mysterious ctan. As the tau supposedly resemble the necrons original form before there bodies were wracked with disease by there star.

- farsight seeks to be rebelling due to his realization of the ethereal mind control, plus he uses either a Deamon weapon or a necton weapon
Ohnonono
Member
(10-04-2017, 01:20 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar
Black Library has started to show up on Audible. Some REALLY good stuff up. No Horus Heresy stuff yet, but lots of 40k stuff. Even the newest novel Watchers of the Throne that is apparently pretty AMAZING. As someone who spends a fortune on these audiobooks this is going to save me a ton of money.

Also if you want suggestions ask cause I have listened to a frigging ton of this stuff.
Last edited by Ohnonono; 10-04-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Keasar
Member
(10-04-2017, 02:11 PM)
Keasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ohnonono

Black Library has started to show up on Audible. Some REALLY good stuff up. No Horus Heresy stuff yet, but lots of 40k stuff. Even the newest novel Watchers of the Throne that is apparently pretty AMAZING. As someone who spends a fortune on these audiobooks this is going to save me a ton of money.

Also if you want suggestions ask cause I have listened to a frigging ton of this stuff.

That is great.
Good of them to open up a bit and stop being so exclusive about their stuff. No sign of the Ciaphas Cain audio dramas but all three Eisenhorn books have my attention, will look into it.

Speaking of Warhammer 40K fiction, currently reading through the Gaunt's Ghost novels again to revise and catch up with the series. Was also wondering, is The Beast Arises series any good?
Tacitus_
Member
(10-04-2017, 04:04 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

Speaking of Warhammer 40K fiction, currently reading through the Gaunt's Ghost novels again to revise and catch up with the series. Was also wondering, is The Beast Arises series any good?

YMMV, the series is pretty divisive.
I enjoyed the politicking (ie, fucking everything up) between the High Lords. Bunch of stuff will make you go "uh what", but whether those hamper your enjoyment will depend on how sacrosanct you view the fluff that came before the series.
Keasar
Member
(10-04-2017, 05:37 PM)
Keasar's Avatar
Fluff inconsistencies isn't the entire world for me, even though some question marks will pop up, more concerned about if the story and writing is good. Not in a hurry though to get them as I am already busy with other series, just saw it mentioned and thought it sounded like a interesting event.
Bradach
Member
(10-05-2017, 09:27 AM)
Bradach's Avatar
Any strategic tips for dealing with astra milatarium armies? Mostly a lot of tanks bubble wrapped in cheap infantry.
(I'm using either space wolves or chaos)
Hex
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:15 AM)
Hex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bradach

Any strategic tips for dealing with astra milatarium armies? Mostly a lot of tanks bubble wrapped in cheap infantry.
(I'm using either space wolves or chaos)

You need to close the distance quickly.
Terminator can opener units can take advantage of non scatter and drop in and drop in some Blood Claws in a pod at the same time.
Let the BC charge the infantry and yeah you will lose some to Overwatch but they can assault in and pull them when they pile in, and you can get your terminators in.
Worse case your termies are locked in combat with infantry and they can't be shot at unless they withdraw.
Longfangs in cover throwing Las or rockets will make them have to take them out.
But all and all, go old school Wolves and drop in a couple suicide squads and you can shake things up (dice gods willing).
Bradach
Member
(10-06-2017, 05:55 AM)
Bradach's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hex

You need to close the distance quickly.
Terminator can opener units can take advantage of non scatter and drop in and drop in some Blood Claws in a pod at the same time.
Let the BC charge the infantry and yeah you will lose some to Overwatch but they can assault in and pull them when they pile in, and you can get your terminators in.
Worse case your termies are locked in combat with infantry and they can't be shot at unless they withdraw.
Longfangs in cover throwing Las or rockets will make them have to take them out.
But all and all, go old school Wolves and drop in a couple suicide squads and you can shake things up (dice gods willing).

Thanks for that. I like the idea of a couple of suicide squads!
Ohnonono
Member
(10-06-2017, 03:03 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar
Finished my 14 Plague Marines and bought myself Typhus as a reward! Should get here next week. Gonna assemble and paint him next before I move on to doing my Poxwalkers. No matter how much I want Mortarian I just can't justify spending the money when I feel like I need more basic options in my forces.

The stuff I have is
Dark Imperium Box
10 extra plague marines
Typhus

Is there a decent vehicle to add to this? The new tank seem like a good thing to throw in there? Either Unit of the new Terminators? It will be a bit before I pull the trigger but I want to plan ahead for my reward for finishing the Poxwalkers.
SillyEskimo
Member
(10-06-2017, 03:15 PM)
SillyEskimo's Avatar
What are you mainly up against? That will be a big part of choosing the right vehicle.

Congratulations on getting so much painted!

Edit: converting some heldrakes to look like flies would be a fun project! Are they as bad ass in 8th or did they get toned down a bit?

Google image search nurgle heldrake for inspiration!
Last edited by SillyEskimo; 10-06-2017 at 03:21 PM.
StaffyManasse
Member
(10-06-2017, 04:33 PM)
StaffyManasse's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ohnonono

Finished my 14 Plague Marines and bought myself Typhus as a reward! Should get here next week. Gonna assemble and paint him next before I move on to doing my Poxwalkers. No matter how much I want Mortarian I just can't justify spending the money when I feel like I need more basic options in my forces.

The stuff I have is
Dark Imperium Box
10 extra plague marines
Typhus

Is there a decent vehicle to add to this? The new tank seem like a good thing to throw in there? Either Unit of the new Terminators? It will be a bit before I pull the trigger but I want to plan ahead for my reward for finishing the Poxwalkers.

I suggest checking Ebay for a Helbrute from the Dark Vengeance box. I believe they are strong and the mini is great. Just add some green stuff nurgledom.
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-06-2017, 04:50 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar
Rumor came back about sisters of battle.

First army of 2018

- Celestine grey gax, yvrsine were showcases. To show investors that there was interest in female models.

- sisters were supposed to be the last 7th ed codex, but shipping/supply problems caused delay.

- that's why releases have been a bit weird and drawn out, as It messed up the timeline.

-expect a full line revamp +.



Also.
-an additional rumor about new species, might be a standalone or new allied tau species or both
GarthVaderUK
Member
(10-06-2017, 05:10 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar


Good to see IMO.
AbsolutBro
Member
(10-06-2017, 05:17 PM)
AbsolutBro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

Rumor came back about sisters of battle.

First army of 2018

I_want_to_believe.jpg

At least Necromunda isn't too far off, right?

Right?
GarthVaderUK
Member
(10-06-2017, 05:27 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by AbsolutBro

I_want_to_believe.jpg

At least Necromunda isn't too far off, right?

Right?

November :D
Tacitus_
Member
(10-06-2017, 05:57 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

Good to see IMO.

Given that they say Greyfax doesn't have boob plate, I think some people will be disappointed. The other two characters they mentioned do lack it however.
SillyEskimo
Member
(10-06-2017, 06:06 PM)
SillyEskimo's Avatar
Greyfax is a great model. If she is taste of whatís to come, color me excited.

The female representation news is good to hear. Women are fun to paint!
Ohnonono
Member
(10-06-2017, 06:16 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar
That sisters rumor is cool. I don't have the budget to be starting new armies all the time, but I could see picking up a model or 2 just to paint. Also to show some support for some female focused stuff. That message is nice if what comes of it making more awesome models like Greyfax and stuff.
Browny
Member
(10-06-2017, 06:19 PM)
Browny's Avatar
*pokes head into thread*

Sisters?

Needtoknowmoreintensifies.gif

My wallet doesn't want this, but I'm hyped...
Tacitus_
Member
(10-06-2017, 07:14 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by SillyEskimo

Greyfax is a great model. If she is taste of whatís to come, color me excited.

The female representation news is good to hear. Women are fun to paint!

I like her armour, but the combat stilettos bug me >_>

Originally Posted by Browny

*pokes head into thread*

Sisters?

Needtoknowmoreintensifies.gif

My wallet doesn't want this, but I'm hyped...

They've been teasing Sisters ever since Magnus came out.
GarthVaderUK
Member
(10-06-2017, 07:54 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar
As expected, the lawsuit for $62 million brought against GW by the bitter recaster they ceased trading with has been dismissed.
Ohnonono
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:00 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

As expected, the lawsuit for $62 million brought against GW by the bitter recaster they ceased trading with has been dismissed.

I only remember this stupid lawsuit cause some miniatures youtubers tried to play it up like it was some actual thing that mattered. It was hilarious listening to them try to act like it was an actual real thing that GW had to worry about.
Maledict
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:42 PM)
Maledict's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

Given that they say Greyfax doesn't have boob plate, I think some people will be disappointed. The other two characters they mentioned do lack it however.

So now we have come full circle. Thatís such a blatant copy of vampire hunter Valla from Heroes of the storm Iím surprised they arenít talking copyright. Blizzard copied from GW, and now GW copies from Blizzard.
SillyEskimo
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:44 PM)
SillyEskimo's Avatar
That imagery has been in GWís stable for decades.

This image from dawn of war 2 was from 2009.

Last edited by SillyEskimo; 10-06-2017 at 08:47 PM.
TheVoidDragon
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:48 PM)
TheVoidDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maledict

The original lore had the Ethereals appearing in one single night, following a series of strange lights being seen in the air at night. They took control of Tau society instantly as Tau instinctively followed them. There was also an autopsy where they discovered the difference between ethereals and other Tau was the presence of a gland in the brain that came from another animal from a planet a long way away, which couldn't possibly have naturally evolved.

There was other stuff as well - it was never directly spelt out, but it seemed to be clear that the Tau were artificially supported in some way, and the Eldar fit better than anyone else.

(Remember,. their entire society in the original lore appeared basically overnight. They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible).

That isn't quite true. The original Codex said there was a legend among the Tau where those things happened like that, not that it was inherently true and all that actually happened as the story says. The "Greater Good" and running their Empire relies on the Ethereals being viewed as supreme and utterly neccesary by the Tau, so if their unquestionable, infallible leaders had a typical backstory in Tau culture didn't elevate them about the others, they'd seem a bit too "normal".

Something else to consider, it's unlikely they'd say the Ethereals didn't fix things (E.g. they arrived but it took centuries to stop all the wars) in their legends because then they don't look perfect.

As for the information in Xenology, that was from an in-universe source that gets information wrong, speculates heavily and ultimately is not a reliable narrator.

They're In-universe speculation and centuries old legends from Tau Culture, from what i've seen there is no actual evidence for it that's reliable. They suggest the possibility, but that doesn't mean it's actually true.

With "They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible" though, isn't that what happened with us? From the discovery of blackpowder (the Tau were said to have Cannons when they Ethereals arrived) to spaceflight in around 1000 years, which from what i remember isn't that much different a time-frame than the Tau achieved it in (Up until a few hundred years before the current W40K time they were still using Fossil Fuels, even). The Ethereals allowed the Tau to work together, so there was no period with lots of wars and such after that, supposedly.

Originally Posted by Maledict

So now we have come full circle. That’s such a blatant copy of vampire hunter Valla from Heroes of the storm I’m surprised they aren’t talking copyright. Blizzard copied from GW, and now GW copies from Blizzard.

Am i missing something? This is the character you mean, right?



The only similarities i can see are single-handed crossbows (which aren't unique to either of them), the hat and high-heels. Both of them have a typical daemon-hunter theme, which that hat is associated with. I don't see how Greyfax's slightly steampunk-gothic ornate witch/daemon hunter armour matches that character.
Last edited by TheVoidDragon; 10-06-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Leunam
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:50 PM)
Leunam's Avatar

Don't know how old this image is but John Blanche and many other artists have been using the colonial fashion/witch hunter trope for years.

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

With "They went from medieval to space flight faster than thought possible" though, isn't that what happened with us? From the discovery of blackpowder (the Tau were said to have Cannons when they Ethereals arrived) to spaceflight in around 1000 years, which from what i remember isn't that much different a time-frame than the Tau achieved it in (Up until a few hundred years before the current W40K time they were still using Fossil Fuels, even). The Ethereals allowed the Tau to work together, so there was no period with lots of wars and such after that, supposedly.

The Tau home planet was also isolated from the rest of the galaxy because of a warp storm. The passage of time for them could have been very different.
Last edited by Leunam; 10-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Maledict
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:54 PM)
Maledict's Avatar
I meant this skin, but clearly Blizzard are still nabbing from GW and not the other way around... ;-)

http://cdn.blizzardwatch.com/wp-cont...layer-skin.jpg
GarthVaderUK
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:54 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by SillyEskimo

That imagery has been in GWís stable for decades.

This image from dawn of war 2 was from 2009.

Blizzard at it again! ;)
dan2026
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:21 PM)
dan2026's Avatar
Sisters of Battle?
Not in this imperfect universe.

Nazo
Member
(10-09-2017, 01:39 AM)
Nazo's Avatar
Painted up Kharn the Betrayer. He was loads of fun to paint!

Ohnonono
Member
(10-09-2017, 05:01 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar
Watchers of the Throne, holy shit. I am just a few chapters in and it is already up with some of the best books in 40 or 30K.
Tacitus_
Member
(10-09-2017, 07:08 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Ohnonono

Watchers of the Throne, holy shit. I am just a few chapters in and it is already up with some of the best books in 40 or 30K.

Chris Wraight has put out some excellent books. I think it's fair to say he's reached the Abnett/A-D-B tier.
Ohnonono
Member
(10-10-2017, 02:17 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

Chris Wraight has put out some excellent books. I think it's fair to say he's reached the Abnett/A-D-B tier.

Yeah. I own the audiobooks for his White Scars HH stuff and havent listened yet. I am now very very excited. John French and Chris Wraight write some good stuff. The have a very strong writing team as far as genre fiction goes.
AlStrong
Member
(10-10-2017, 05:18 PM)
AlStrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nazo

Painted up Kharn the Betrayer. He was loads of fun to paint!

Awesome. How long did that take? :o Love the detailing on the helm.
Nazo
Member
(10-10-2017, 06:39 PM)
Nazo's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlStrong

Awesome. How long did that take? :o Love the detailing on the helm.

Thanks! :)

It took about twelve hours or so over the span of 2 or 3 days.

Here's some other pics of him from the back:

Tacitus_
Member
(10-10-2017, 07:16 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar
Speaking of Wraight


Khaaaaaannnnnn

Ondor
Member
(10-10-2017, 10:36 PM)
Ondor's Avatar
Bought kharadron instead of some tau like I planned. Can't decide on basing. Have any of you ever experimented with a sky base?
Last edited by Ondor; 10-10-2017 at 11:17 PM.
barik
Member
(10-11-2017, 01:05 PM)
barik's Avatar
I've seen a lot of basing methods but I can honestly say I've never seen a sky base. Maybe something similar to this:

but with some cloud-like material on top, like cushion filling or something? Might end up looking like snow though.
Ondor
Member
(10-11-2017, 07:47 PM)
Ondor's Avatar

Originally Posted by barik

I've seen a lot of basing methods but I can honestly say I've never seen a sky base. Maybe something similar to this:



but with some cloud-like material on top, like cushion filling or something? Might end up looking like snow though.

Looking like snow was one of my big worries. That and looking like ocean.

This is an interesting example, thanks for this.
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-11-2017, 08:33 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar
jesus the fuck is this



primaris super heavy: Forgeworld

Mastadon + repulsor glued together
TheVoidDragon
Member
(10-11-2017, 09:22 PM)
TheVoidDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

jesus the fuck is this



primaris super heavy: Forgeworld

Mastadon + repulsor glued together

I'm not sure what to think of that. While it looks cool, doesn't it defeat the point of what Space Marines are supposed to be all about? I don't know too much about Primaris Marines but aren't they still chapter-sized? If that's the case i don't see why they'd need a super-heavy.
War Peaceman
You're a big guy.
(10-11-2017, 09:29 PM)
War Peaceman's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

I'm not sure what to think of that. While it looks cool, doesn't it defeat the point of what Space Marines are supposed to be all about? I don't know too much about Primaris Marines but aren't they still chapter-sized? If that's the case i don't see why they'd need a super-heavy.

The direction Gulliman is pushing towards is more legion style. Not immediately, but gradually.
Leunam
Member
(10-11-2017, 09:41 PM)
Leunam's Avatar
The front and mid transition is too jarring for me.
TheVoidDragon
Member
(10-11-2017, 09:52 PM)
TheVoidDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by War Peaceman

The direction Gulliman is pushing towards is more legion style. Not immediately, but gradually.

Wasn't Guilliman the one who said Space Marines shouldn't have legions anymore so no one has control over that much power at once?
Vilix
I think Bayonetta and Samus are more iconic than Lara Croft.
(10-11-2017, 09:52 PM)
Vilix's Avatar
So Cadia has fallen, Roboute Guilliman has returned, and we now have new class of Space Marines. I've missed so much.

Thread Tools