• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Laevateinn
(09-29-2017, 05:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Quixzlizx

Is there a site/app out there that'll let me sign up for alerts for airfare deals to Japan?

Originally Posted by ThreePiMatt

Flights.google.com

At least, that's what I use. You can just set up a few dates and it'll give you alerts when prices change.

Be careful with Google flights so you don't end up on one that has a layover in China.

Originally Posted by Silent_Ocarina

I was going to make a new thread, but I was lucky enough to find a megathread already for this kind of inquiry.

My friends and I are planning our very first international trip to Japan in May 2018. I hope that's a decent time. A cursory look at the thread tells me the months of November/December are preferred, but I think our schedules have settled on May. Being my first international flight, I have no idea where to start, but the OP is giving me useful advice. Is there anything you guys can offer in general? Suggestions on where to go and such? I'm starting from zero so anything will be useful. Thanks!

May is fine depending on what part of May. Are you thinking early or late May?
Silent_Ocarina
(09-29-2017, 06:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Laevateinn

Be careful with Google flights so you don't end up on one that has a layover in China.

May is fine depending on what part of May. Are you thinking early or late May?

We're thinking late May, which is around or close to the rainy season, isn't it? I wonder if it's too late to reconsider. They're pretty set on May as we graduate with our doctorates earlier in the month. :]
Eridani
(09-29-2017, 08:03 AM)

I was going to make a new thread, but I was lucky enough to find a megathread already for this kind of inquiry.

My friends and I are planning our very first international trip to Japan in May 2018. I hope that's a decent time. A cursory look at the thread tells me the months of November/December are preferred, but I think our schedules have settled on May. Being my first international flight, I have no idea where to start, but the OP is giving me useful advice. Is there anything you guys can offer in general? Suggestions on where to go and such? I'm starting from zero so anything will be useful. Thanks!

I would start by reading wikivoyage and japan-guide. They both provide some great general information. They are also great for picking where to go - just start clicking on various destinations and pick whichever looks cool. Personally, I went to:

-Tokyo
-Kyoto
-Osaka
-Kamakura
-Nara
-Himeji
-Mount Koya

They were all awesome. Kamakura and Mount Shosha in Himeji surprised me a lot, because I did not expect them to be as great as they were. Mount Shosha in particular I rarely see mentioned, but its temple complex was amazing.

Also, is there any particular reason the OP links to wikitravel instead of wikivoyage? Wikivoyage seems to be the better site.
Darksol
(09-29-2017, 10:52 AM)

We're thinking late May, which is around or close to the rainy season, isn't it? I wonder if it's too late to reconsider. They're pretty set on May as we graduate with our doctorates earlier in the month. :]

Late May was shit this year: muggy as all hell. But I'm Canadian and don't like May through September, so I'm not sure what my word is worth.
MikeHattsu
(09-29-2017, 11:23 AM)

A cursory look at the thread tells me the months of November/December are preferred

Nah. Mid-March-Mid-May and October-Early November is the best I'd say. Winter can be ok, but avoid Mid-May-Mid-September though :P

Originally Posted by Quixzlizx

Is there a site/app out there that'll let me sign up for alerts for airfare deals to Japan?

In addition to google, there's kayak as well I guess.
Laevateinn
(09-29-2017, 01:38 PM)
I'd rather go in later May when it's starting to get hot then early May when it's golden week. Probably end of golden week to the end of the third week would be ideal.
Eridani
(09-29-2017, 02:01 PM)
I feel like I'm the only one not bothered by hot weather. I went to Japan in late August/early September and thought the weather was great. A bit rainy perhaps, but I never felt like it was too hot. Maybe that year just wasn't particularly hot?

I also went to Hong Kong in July, which has higher average temperatures, and while that was definitely quite hot, I never felt like it made the trip noticeably worse.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't let the weather effect your choice too much. Japan's awesome and you'll probably have a great time no matter when you go. If you can easily switch the timing then you should definitely take the weather into account, but if you can't I very much doubt it will ruin the trip.

Then again, I'm pretty used to hot summers. Canadians/Scandinavians would probably have a different opinion.
Quixzlizx
(09-29-2017, 02:25 PM)
Thanks, I guess I'll be checkout out Google Flights, then. What's generally the best price I can get out of JFK, around $1000? I'm on LI, so fuck Newark.

Edit: I guess I don't have to worry about this for a bit... I'm planning on going next Oct/Nov, and Google Flights doesn't even go that far ahead.
Last edited by Quixzlizx; 09-29-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Laevateinn
(09-29-2017, 02:30 PM)
Don't even think abot buying tickets until you have like six months left.
Silent_Ocarina
(09-29-2017, 09:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Eridani

I feel like I'm the only one not bothered by hot weather. I went to Japan in late August/early September and thought the weather was great. A bit rainy perhaps, but I never felt like it was too hot. Maybe that year just wasn't particularly hot?

I also went to Hong Kong in July, which has higher average temperatures, and while that was definitely quite hot, I never felt like it made the trip noticeably worse.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't let the weather effect your choice too much. Japan's awesome and you'll probably have a great time no matter when you go. If you can easily switch the timing then you should definitely take the weather into account, but if you can't I very much doubt it will ruin the trip.

Then again, I'm pretty used to hot summers. Canadians/Scandinavians would probably have a different opinion.

Yeah the timing is rather strict so I doubt I'll be able to move it to one of the preferred months. We live in Louisiana so hopefully we will be able to tolerate the heat and humidity.

We are currently planning on going to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. As I understand it, we should get some sort of rail pass for transportation? Any hotel recommendations?
anarchycupcake
(10-01-2017, 07:51 PM)
We're considering a 2 week trip to Japan and Korea (1 week Japan, 1 week Korea) next year and were debating when to go. Cherry blossom season would be nice, but I imagine that's when the highest prices are, right? So we were considering either September, October or November. Is one of those months better than the other, price wise or weather wise?
MikeHattsu
(10-01-2017, 09:41 PM)

Originally Posted by anarchycupcake

We're considering a 2 week trip to Japan and Korea (1 week Japan, 1 week Korea) next year and were debating when to go. Cherry blossom season would be nice, but I imagine that's when the highest prices are, right? So we were considering either September, October or November. Is one of those months better than the other, price wise or weather wise?

Not really that different in price here from Europe at least.

Avoid September if possible, since it's typhoon season :P
MikeHattsu
(10-01-2017, 10:25 PM)
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...tems-tourists/

Foreign tourists now can buy sake and other alcoholic beverages tax-free at breweries and distilleries in Japan.

Launched on Sunday, the tax-free program is expected to give a further boost to already brisk exports of sake and make tours to breweries, wineries and distillers more popular with visitors to the country, people in the industry said.

Under the program, if a tourist buys a 720-ml bottle of seishu (refined sake) at a shop on the premises of a government-designated brewery where it was produced, the •86.4 liquor tax and the 8 percent consumption tax will be waived.

According to the National Tax Agency, approval to waive the taxes had been given to 48 producers of alcoholic beverages in 24 of the nationís 47 prefectures as of Sunday.

anarchycupcake
(10-01-2017, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by MikeHattsu

Not really that different in price here from Europe at least.

Avoid September if possible, since it's typhoon season :P

Ah, is it still? I know July and August can be bad for rain, but I didn't know it spilled over into September.

Also, I was wondering how to divide up a week's worth of time. I was thinking of 3 days in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto and 2 in another city/area - but where would you recommend?
Laevateinn
(10-01-2017, 11:50 PM)
I am now planning a business where I buy tax-free alcohol and sell it at a 4% markup to salarymen.
MikeHattsu
(10-02-2017, 09:06 AM)

Originally Posted by anarchycupcake

Ah, is it still? I know July and August can be bad for rain, but I didn't know it spilled over into September.

Also, I was wondering how to divide up a week's worth of time. I was thinking of 3 days in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto and 2 in another city/area - but where would you recommend?

Yes:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ecord-rainfall

It would be better to just do 1-2 cities in the same area if you just have a week. Either Kyoto/Osaka or Tokyo/Kamakura.
Gibbo
(10-02-2017, 12:10 PM)
Booked my tickets to Osaka for my honeymoon next April - for a week. Hope we are in time to see the sakura in full bloom.

Would be open for any recommendations for good airbnbs!
Patrick Bateman
(10-02-2017, 01:15 PM)
Do you guys think that going to Japan in autumn/winter 2020 after the Olympics would be a wise option? I thought that they might give special offers when all the other tourists have left. 🤔
clay_ghost
(10-02-2017, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Do you guys think that going to Japan in autumn/winter 2020 after the Olympics would be a wise option? I thought that they might give special offers when all the other tourists have left. 🤔

It will be crowed as he'll I think.
Edit.

I am in Osaka now, any recommendations where I should go for some last minute video games shopping (amiibos, switch cases etc)?
Last edited by clay_ghost; 10-02-2017 at 01:34 PM.
sfedai0
(10-02-2017, 01:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

The tourists never leave.
Patrick Bateman
(10-02-2017, 02:05 PM)
The tourists of the Olympic Games.
Dingens
(10-03-2017, 01:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Gibbo

Booked my tickets to Osaka for my honeymoon next April - for a week. Hope we are in time to see the sakura in full bloom.

Would be open for any recommendations for good airbnbs!

I mean... it's none of my business, but wouldn't you wanna go for something more... "special" for a honeymoon?
There are more than enough exciting, nice and affordable Onsen, Ryokan, pensions or other kinds of couple-centric hotels in Japan.
There's like nothing better than sharing a nice kashikiri onsen with your spouse.
Last edited by Dingens; 10-03-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Laevateinn
(10-03-2017, 01:33 AM)
Why waste your money on an expensive hotel room. Enjoy the trip and get a love hotel one or two nights.
cj_iwakura
(10-03-2017, 01:38 AM)

Why waste your money on an expensive hotel room. Enjoy the trip and get a love hotel one or two nights.

Because it's a honeymoon and love hotels are tacky?
Akim
(10-03-2017, 05:45 AM)
How much is actually closed in Tokyo during new years? Is it just on the actual day, or can I expect things to be closed all week?
Anony
(10-03-2017, 03:58 PM)

Originally Posted by clay_ghost

It will be crowed as he'll I think.
Edit.

I am in Osaka now, any recommendations where I should go for some last minute video games shopping (amiibos, switch cases etc)?

i was just in osaka, literally anywhere in denden town
dept stores for new stuff, 2nd hand shops for old (dept stores sells old used games and systems too, but 2nd hand shops way better)
note that i prefered random 2nd hand store vs super potato, but if ur short on time, just hit up a super potato (theres 2 locations)
Last edited by Anony; 10-03-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Zalasta
(10-03-2017, 04:26 PM)
Originally I was going to fly into and out of Narita, which would make the rail pass worth it since I'll be taking a round trip to Osaka and back. But now I may fly into Osaka and leave from Narita instead, if it's only going to be one way on the shinkansen (with side trips to Hiroshima, Nara and Kyoto), is rail pass still the way to go?
MikeHattsu
(10-03-2017, 05:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Zalasta

Originally I was going to fly into and out of Narita, which would make the rail pass worth it since I'll be taking a round trip to Osaka and back. But now I may fly into Osaka and leave from Narita instead, if it's only going to be one way on the shinkansen (with side trips to Hiroshima, Nara and Kyoto), is rail pass still the way to go?

If you're going from Osaka->Hiroshima->Osaka->Tokyo within 1 week, then the rail pass is still the way to go. Those 3 trips with the Shinkansen would be 33K+ JPY, while the rail pass costs 29K.

If you skip Hiroshima, then it's not worth it though.
Last edited by MikeHattsu; 10-03-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Hydrogen Bluebird
(10-03-2017, 07:20 PM)
Really random question, but anyone here in Osaka manage to buy an SNEs classic (US/EU)?
hwalker84
(10-03-2017, 11:09 PM)

Originally Posted by parasight

Already shared the album with Photography-GAF, but thought I'd post it here too.

Japan 2017 - Osaka to Fuji to Tokyo

Such an amazing trip. The best time of my life. Can't wait to go back for more.

JPN2017 - 21 by Earl Oliveros, on Flickr

JPN2017 - 37 by Earl Oliveros, on Flickr

JPN2017 - 112 by Earl Oliveros, on Flickr

JPN2017 - 161 by Earl Oliveros, on Flickr

JPN2017 - 200 by Earl Oliveros, on Flickr

Added to the OP.
Anony
(10-04-2017, 12:29 PM)
I went to nakano Broadway today (12 - 4)
Half the stores weren't open
Is this normal?
MikeHattsu
(10-04-2017, 12:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Anony

I went to nakano Broadway today (12 - 4)
Half the stores weren't open
Is this normal?

Wednesday is closing day for some of the stores there.

Oh, and if you're talking about the 4th floor, then there's a lot of empty stores there with nothing in them.
Anony
(10-04-2017, 02:13 PM)

Wednesday is closing day for some of the stores there.

Oh, and if you're talking about the 4th floor, then there's a lot of empty stores there with nothing in them.

should i go back? it was pretty underwhelming imo
MikeHattsu
(10-04-2017, 02:24 PM)

should i go back? it was pretty underwhelming imo

Well... What were you looking for?
Anony
(10-04-2017, 03:24 PM)

Well... What were you looking for?

anime goods/figurines
the mandarake there didnt have as much for sure
MikeHattsu
(10-04-2017, 03:31 PM)

anime goods/figurines
the mandarake there didnt have as much for sure

You checked all the Mandarake stores there, right? :P

Well, it's not as big as all of Akihabara, but they have some stores selling older stuff if that's what you're looking for, cels and production materials, art books, those gacha stores and there's that one store that have a lot of rarer figures (most expensive store there though).
Anony
(10-04-2017, 04:20 PM)

You checked all the Mandarake stores there, right? :P

Well, it's not as big as all of Akihabara, but they have some stores selling older stuff if that's what you're looking for, cels and production materials, art books, those gacha stores and there's that one store that have a lot of rarer figures (most expensive store there though).

ya, i did
i don't like how their stores are spread out everywhere

i guess i'll have to go back, either it was closed or i went into it and thought it was meh
do you remember which area/floor it was on

also, i'm potentially looking for a miku/project diva arcade pad for ps3/4
i saw one in osaka, but hesitated to get it, now i regret that desision
Last edited by Anony; 10-04-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Cherubimon142
(10-04-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Akim

How much is actually closed in Tokyo during new years? Is it just on the actual day, or can I expect things to be closed all week?

I was just in Japan over New Years, and got to spend time at Comiket and the first week of the New Year. Many places are closed, but it's mostly those that have closures on the holiday hours. Food stalls and restaurants tend to stay open, and many of the electronics, clothing stores and anime goods stores have special fukubukuro sales. My advice for those is to go to the stores days in advance when the sales lists are posted to know what you would want, then get in line at the expected ungodly hour if you want electronics. Otherwise, just go to anime stores for a large box of heavily discounted random figures or CDs.
MikeHattsu
(10-04-2017, 04:57 PM)

i guess i'll have to go back, either it was closed or i went into it and thought it was meh
do you remember which area/floor it was on

Liberty Nakano 2 on the 3rd floor I think it was.
Akim
(10-05-2017, 10:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Cherubimon142

I was just in Japan over New Years, and got to spend time at Comiket and the first week of the New Year. Many places are closed, but it's mostly those that have closures on the holiday hours. Food stalls and restaurants tend to stay open, and many of the electronics, clothing stores and anime goods stores have special fukubukuro sales. My advice for those is to go to the stores days in advance when the sales lists are posted to know what you would want, then get in line at the expected ungodly hour if you want electronics. Otherwise, just go to anime stores for a large box of heavily discounted random figures or CDs.

Nice, thanks for the info.
Jim_Cacher
(10-07-2017, 03:26 AM)
Visiting Osaka next week to see Babymetal. It's been a year and a half since my last visit. Really excited about the trip.
Hagi
(10-07-2017, 11:15 AM)
Saw an ad today in Shibuya for a Last Jedi art show that starts this week, anyone been to something like this before? I love Star Wars but not sure if it would be something I'd like.
Worthintendo
(10-07-2017, 12:39 PM)
Guys, guys

GUYS

How awesome is Japan :D
sfedai0
(10-07-2017, 12:54 PM)
Im planning my third trip for feb/march. Just going there for food is worth it.
Laevateinn
(10-07-2017, 03:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Cherubimon142

So, how terribly crowded does Comiket feel. It gets like twice as many people as TGS but does Tokyo Big Site handle it better than Makuhari Messe?

Originally Posted by Jim_Cacher

Visiting Osaka next week to see Babymetal. It's been a year and a half since my last visit. Really excited about the trip.

Jealous :(

Originally Posted by Worthintendo

Guys, guys

GUYS

How awesome is Japan :D

It's terrible. Don't go!
Worthintendo
(10-07-2017, 11:48 PM)

It's terrible. Don't go!

It's too late, already here
LonelyGreyWolf
(10-08-2017, 06:14 AM)
Ah, I was in Odaiba last Thursday :3 Probably my favorite part of Tokyo, tbh. Definitely up there with Shibuya, Akihabara and Shinjuku.
Zyzyxxz
(10-08-2017, 08:44 AM)
Just finished my 3rd and longest trip yet. This time I went from Tokyo to Kyoto to Osaka.

I have to say Kyoto is such a beautiful city (minus all the Chinese tourist). I definitely wish to return. Osaka on the other hand was somewhat disappointing for me.

I didn't feel the food was any better than Tokyo but it was my first time there compared to how much more familiar I am with the restaurant scene in Tokyo but when it came to okonomiyaki, takoyaki, and kushiage those are some of my least favorite Japanese foods already so I guess Osaka wasn't going to impress me as much as Tokyo anyway.

In the future I really wish to do a Hokkaido trip but its going to Sapporo and Hakodate good enough or is renting a car worth it? I'm not really too crazy about the idea of renting a car and paying for parking.
Darksol
(10-08-2017, 11:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Hagi

Saw an ad today in Shibuya for a Last Jedi art show that starts this week, anyone been to something like this before? I love Star Wars but not sure if it would be something I'd like.

Nah I havenít. Occasionally I come across Vader dressed as a samurai though.