• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Gully State
(10-06-2017, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by backslashbunny

I guess we could have started in OT? Too late now to move it, unless a mod does it.. I've already sent this thread to three of my friends who are on GAF and are Asian.

TBH, I didn't want to turn it into a "who has it worse" thread, because to be totally honest, I am happy that I don't need to worry about being shot to death by cops based on my skin color. Honestly, every time I see a police shooting, I think to myself, damn. I am so effing lucky.

That thread made me realize that a lot of people might not know when Asians ARE discriminated against, because we don't say anything. Because, yes, not getting into a better school than the one you're going to, doesn't really compare in the same way to a cop killing your brother. But, that doesn't make the discrimination any less real.

I'm also kinda annoyed how many people accused ME of being racist, or trying to "take away college spots from other minorities to give to Asians." What? No, I was just bitching that colleges discriminate against Asians, and also bitching about how "well-rounded" has been used AGAINST us.

/ties you down
/insets metal contraception in your mouth

Now you will eat ALL the food.

The real issue with all this affirmative action talk is that no on ever looks at the fact that admission numbers never decrease for white students and really it just serves as another insidious distractor pitting Asians and other minorities against one another over scraps.
cdyhybrid
(10-06-2017, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Moonkid

Soju is whack :P, especially the flavoured kind.

No
BLOODED_hands
(10-06-2017, 06:35 PM)
Soju? I haven't had much of soju tbh. I've only drank it with one of my friends who is more into Korean shit than I am. It's okay, I guess. It is good with Sapporo Beer though. I remember we did shots with it and I very much enjoyed it.
claviertekky
(10-06-2017, 07:05 PM)

Originally Posted by cdyhybrid

I don't think I've ever had mooncake

Kinda overrated, especially if you're concerned about prediabetes or family with diabetes history.

Very pretty looking though. Not all mooncakes taste good.

Not a fan of the egg yolks either.

Originally Posted by suzu

Snowskin mooncakes > regular baked mooncakes

IT'S MOONCAKE EATING DAY!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Originally Posted by SRG01

Mine has white lotus paste and THREE EGG YOLKS

The Hong Kong right of abode laws are absolutely disgusting.

Originally Posted by Erheller

Mooncakes are good

Overheard a relative complaining how the holiday is now meat eating day.
Last edited by claviertekky; 10-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Izuna
(10-06-2017, 08:07 PM)
Soju (and Shochu) are middle tier mixers and middle tier booze in general.

Sweet Potato in particular is one of those things to only try once.
Moonkid
(10-06-2017, 09:17 PM)

No

Yes >:) As a Korean I used to rep it to the parties I went to, don't care for most beer and other super-sugary RTDs, but now it's cheap wine for me per student life.
cdyhybrid
(10-06-2017, 09:19 PM)

Yes >:) As a Korean I used to rep it to the parties I went to, don't care for most beer and other super-sugary RTDs, but now it's cheap wine for me per student life.

All drinks have their time and place.

Variety is the spice of life!
Moonkid
(10-06-2017, 09:30 PM)

All drinks have their time and place.

Variety is the spice of life!

Well sure, especially if it's offered - though depending on how drunk I am I'm not sure I'd refuse any drink :P
BLOODED_hands
(10-06-2017, 09:53 PM)
I've learned that to refuse a drink from Hmong folks is to be disrespectful/rude to the person who poured the drink and/or shot......... So it's hard for me to refuse a drink unless the people I'm drinking with doesn't adhere to that standard/rule.
backslashbunny
(10-06-2017, 11:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Gully State

The real issue with all this affirmative action talk is that no on ever looks at the fact that admission numbers never decrease for white students and really it just serves as another insidious distractor pitting Asians and other minorities against one another over scraps.

That post is so old haha.

Nothing has changed though.
Septimus Prime
(10-06-2017, 11:25 PM)

What if you just bill six minutes for this post? Eat it, kaizen culture!
backslashbunny
(10-06-2017, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Septimus Prime

What if you just bill six minutes for this post? Eat it, kaizen culture!

LOL. It's okay, I'm on a water break. Reading about the new egame studio :D
Gully State
(10-07-2017, 03:09 AM)

Oops my bad. I thought I was on the last page or something
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(10-07-2017, 03:39 AM)

Originally Posted by wandering

Soju is fucking awesome. That is all.

Indeed it is. As well as the games you can play with it.
robox
(10-07-2017, 04:38 AM)
soju > sake > baijiao > viet rice wine
InsaneZero
(10-07-2017, 05:38 AM)

Originally Posted by robox

Ehh, I like sake more than soju though. At least, my relatives haven't introduced me to a soju that I liked while I was in Korea.

Speaking of which, I need to learn my mother language in a few weeks before I head back over there.
Izuna
(10-07-2017, 11:55 AM)

Originally Posted by robox

Whisky > Plum Wine > Tequila and Wine > your list > beer
backslashbunny
(10-08-2017, 03:28 AM)
Watching white people lose their shit over Sichuan sauce.

Those poor flavored deprived kids. *patpat
Ashhong
(10-08-2017, 03:30 AM)

I mean, I doubt any of them are going crazy for the flavor
Gully State
(10-08-2017, 04:14 AM)
I don't remember the Szechuan sauce being anything special, but I do remember eating a crap ton of McNuggets during that period because of the $2.99 sale that ran in conjunction
BLOODED_hands
(10-08-2017, 05:44 AM)
I didn't even know there was Szechuan sauce for mcnuggies, lol until I saw Rick and Morty. I was too young and my family didn't eat any fast food during the craze. I would imagine it's not that good.
wandering
(10-08-2017, 07:23 AM)

They might have lactose tolerance but we have the ability to handle food spicier than mustard.
Ashhong
(10-08-2017, 08:19 AM)

Originally Posted by wandering

They might have lactose tolerance but we have the ability to handle food spicier than mustard.

Never knew Asian lactose intolerance was a thing. I literally drink milk every day and can have it with any meal. It's my water
BLOODED_hands
(10-08-2017, 08:34 AM)
I know about the lactose intolerant thing, but that never applied to my family, friends, and myself. There is heart burn when we drink hard liquor though :(

What's everybodies spicyness levels at? I can't get past ghost pepper. I tried that shit with grilled chicken wings before...... Nope. Nah. Nuh uh. Okay, I'll try it again when it comes down to it, lol.
Ashhong
(10-08-2017, 08:43 AM)

Originally Posted by BLOODED_hands

I know about the lactose intolerant thing, but that never applied to my family, friends, and myself. There is heart burn when we drink hard liquor though :(

What's everybodies spicyness levels at? I can't get past ghost pepper. I tried that shit with grilled chicken wings before...... Nope. Nah. Nuh uh. Okay, I'll try it again when it comes down to it, lol.

Never tried ghost pepper but I can't handle a full packet of that spicy ramen challenge thing
Erheller
(10-08-2017, 08:44 AM)
I can eat BWW's mango habanaro wings slowly, but anything above that is pretty much a no-go.
BLOODED_hands
(10-08-2017, 08:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashhong

Never tried ghost pepper but I can't handle a full packet of that spicy ramen challenge thing

Which bag color? Black or red? The red is just nuh uh. There is literally no flavor to it unless you want to get rid of the spice by adding a ton of extras. The black version is decently flavored and the spicy level is good for me. It also depends on how you make them. Some folks dive right in and make them like regular ramen: boil water, add the noodles and seasonings, and wait it out. <- that doesn't work out. The instructions tell people to boil the noodles, drain them of water, put the noodles into a bowl or plate, and then add the seasonings. <- that makes it better. Some folks like to stir-fry it, but I haven't tried that myself.

I haven't had BWW in a very long while now. Some friends and I ordered the hottest wings (blazing) when we were about 1-2 years out of high school and we handled it..... Ok? I don't quite remember.
Septimus Prime
(10-08-2017, 09:11 AM)
I can't eat spicy food.
Moonkid
(10-08-2017, 11:57 AM)
I'm pretty average when it comes to spicy food. Even shin ramyun I need an egg in it to enjoy otherwise it's too damn hot.
Izuna
(10-08-2017, 12:19 PM)
Going to represent Indian and English culture when I say...

A good Chicken Madras is everything.

-

For Ramen, I don't appreciate it being spicy.
suzu
(10-08-2017, 09:25 PM)

I'm like 1~2. Sometimes 3 if I'm feeling brave.
Last edited by suzu; 10-08-2017 at 09:29 PM.
BLOODED_hands
(10-08-2017, 09:54 PM)
I like that picture, suzu, lol.

That needs to be implemented more at places that serve spicy foods.
Izuna
(10-08-2017, 10:22 PM)

Originally Posted by suzu

I'm like 1~2. Sometimes 3 if I'm feeling brave.

I feel like I said those words in order when Brook was introduced in OITNB.
cdyhybrid
(10-08-2017, 10:25 PM)
I'm usually 2-3
Tripon
(10-08-2017, 11:46 PM)
4-5. I like things spicy and garlicky.
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 12:18 AM)
Recommend good Korean food in SoCal pls

Manchester is so very meh for it.
backslashbunny
(10-09-2017, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Izuna

Recommend good Korean food in SoCal pls

Manchester is so very meh for it.

Koreatown, LA.

You're welcome.
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 01:18 AM)

Koreatown, LA.

You're welcome.

Oooh, thanks :D

May as well directly compare it to Koreatown in Tokyo.

Apologies for the crap ton of food pictures coming in 2 weeks.
Usobuko
(10-09-2017, 02:06 AM)

Originally Posted by hirokazu

I don't know what's going on in here but in terms of racism within the (East) Asian community, I've seen a lot of prejudice towards blacks, Indians and other South Asians, and sometimes even South East Asians. Basically, everyone with skin darker than them.

I'm a Chinese from Singapore and our population is like 70% Chinese, 15% Malay, 10% Indians and 5% others.

I found out really early in my teens people here like to punch down according to the culture they grew up with. If you played mmos frequently in South East Asia, you'll notice Singaporeans tend to band together in a guild whereas other South East Asia don't quite care where ya from.

There's plenty of Asians supporting white supremacy, especially when they still harbour an option in marrying them. It's only when reality sets in, they married another Asian instead then I find their views slowly to be more pro-Asian because their offspring are one.

Even then, Asians from developed nations still likes to punch down on non-developed ones.
hirokazu
(10-09-2017, 02:36 AM)

Never knew Asian lactose intolerance was a thing. I literally drink milk every day and can have it with any meal. It's my water

I get bloated if I start drinking milk after a prolonged period of not drinking it. Other than that, I'm fine.

I've never tried ghost pepper either but I can do the spicy ramen thing. The red one is only about 9000 scoville though, and the black one half that. Pretty sure ghost pepper is in the millions on the scoville scale LOL. I suppose the quantity might make up the difference somewhat, I don't know.

The hottest thing I've ever had is some chicken wings off a street vendor in China. I have NFI what sort of spices they put in that thing, but it was beyond anything else I've ever tried, nothing else I've had is even remotely close. I could feel it going down and I could feel burning in my stomach for hours after. And I only managed a single wing.

I'm pretty average when it comes to spicy food. Even shin ramyun I need an egg in it to enjoy otherwise it's too damn hot.

I'm sorry to say, but that's sounds below average LOL.
Last edited by hirokazu; 10-09-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 02:42 AM)
Spiciest thing I ate was... Burmese Curry.

One of the guys at a Sushi place I worked made repped his home country and I almost died.

I was their test subject for western fragility.
BLOODED_hands
(10-09-2017, 02:55 AM)
At least Moonkid isn't like some folks who can't even handle black pepper or mustard, lol. Now that is ridiculous imo.
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 03:02 AM)
Mustard is gross tho, just saying.
BLOODED_hands
(10-09-2017, 03:04 AM)

Mustard is gross tho, just saying.

You take that back you.... You MONSTER!
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 03:14 AM)

You take that back you.... You MONSTER!

Pfft, you probably like mayonnaise too.
BLOODED_hands
(10-09-2017, 03:36 AM)

Pfft, you probably like mayonnaise too.

I do!!

*Am I the one who is wrong? No, it's Izuna who is wrong*
backslashbunny
(10-09-2017, 03:57 AM)
I don't like spicy food.

I don't really like mayo either TBH. It leaves a gross slimy taste in my mouth. I'm okay with Kewpie, especially in spicy tuna rolls.

Mustard is okay. But whole grain Dijon mustard is the best. President Obama had the right idea :D
hirokazu
(10-09-2017, 04:01 AM)
I put Kewpie mayo on my pizza when I make pizza. I suspect I'm about to be lampooned. >_>

Full disclosure: I also enjoy pineapple on pizza.
cdyhybrid
(10-09-2017, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by hirokazu

I put Kewpie mayo on my pizza when I make pizza. I suspect I'm about to be lampooned. >_>

Full disclosure: I also enjoy pineapple on pizza.

We have to do better
Izuna
(10-09-2017, 04:06 AM)

I do!!

*Am I the one who is wrong? No, it's Izuna who is wrong*

I mean...

So long as you don't do what this colleague of mine did and eat plain sticky rice with mayonnaise poured on top, we can still be friends.
Last edited by Izuna; 10-09-2017 at 04:11 AM.