• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Gradon
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:47 AM)
Gradon's Avatar

Originally Posted by FluxWaveZ

Another thing I had thought of was waking up for Daily Life at some point, and engaging in the usual events with a slightly different internal monologue and ways in which characters interact with you. And then you discover that the character you had been playing up until that point has been killed.

I love this idea, there's so much potential in it. The shock of seeing the player character dead would be fantastic if it was done well enough.

Though I think for Danganronpa 4 it's best if we stick to a female character for the entirety of the game haha.

Also as definitive as that ending feels I still think a 4th game is definitely coming. A new writer perhaps but I'm always ready for more Danganronpa.
brickarts295
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:50 AM)
brickarts295's Avatar
LIVING IN A LAZY PARALLEL WORLD...
NSESN
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:00 AM)
NSESN's Avatar
As someone that played every AA (That were localized, thanks capcom), I think they can do another DR game without problems

AA spoilers AA3 is a very definitive ending for the series, but they still did more games. Many people didn't like Apolo Justice, but I think of it more of a completely different story with some reappearing characters. In the same way SoJ is a definitive ending for Apollo's arc, but you can still have more games focused on Athena for examples.
My only problem is that took a step back in Dual Destines and made Phoenix the lead, it would be much better if all 3 games were focused on Apollo.
I think DR4 can do the same. Retain some elements and monokuma, but go for something new that is different of hope vs despair all over again. DR3 almost did that to tell the truth


Oh and a Ghost Trick scenario would be good too. One of my favoutite games ever. Incredible use of the DS touch screen too.
darkziosj
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:00 AM)
darkziosj's Avatar
The more i think about it the more i dislike it, cmon, so everything that was told was a lie, miu didn't suffer any accident, maki didn't watch her friend die... the characters and the world is almost pointless, it is pretty much "was a dream" story, at least in dr2 all that happen to the characters life REALLY happen, well i guess not anymore since all the fiction thing but yeah... why should anyone care about any of this caracters if they don't really exist outside the dr world.
FluxWaveZ
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:05 AM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by NSESN

As someone that played every AA (That were localized, thanks capcom), I think they can do another DR game without problems

The difference with AA, though, is that it admittedly allows for a way broader scope of mysteries because of its more open-ended nature. It's pretty much limitless, and doesn't even need to be limited to murder cases, really, which they've dabbled with a bit.

The nature of a killing game with a small cast and an isolated location limits things. I do still think they could achieve a lot more if they really wanted to, though. But then we've got Kodaka saying stuff like Junko needs to be the villain all the time, or this everlasting war between hope and despair, and I dunno.

I like how, in V3, the mastermind was actually part of the cast for once and not an outsider.

Originally Posted by darkziosj

The more i think about it the more i dislike it, cmon, so everything that was told was a lie, miu didn't suffer any accident, maki didn't watch her friend die... the characters and the world is almost pointless, it is pretty much "was a dream" story, at least in dr2 all that happen to the characters life REALLY happen, well i guess not anymore since all the fiction thing but yeah... why should anyone care about any of this caracters if they don't really exist outside the dr world.

The thing is, the characters are real people. Everything they're going through in fiction are real people who have had their memories transplanted and have suffered or enjoyed fake memories. It's The Matrix, which they actually explicitly cite earlier in the story (and Tsumugi is the one who expresses her enthusiasm for it). The fates of the real life counterparts who die in the fiction are ambiguous, with an interpretation that they die in real life.

So, despite my hang-ups, there are meaningful implications for the fiction towards the series' "real life."
caliph95
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:09 AM)
caliph95's Avatar
Honestly just make it an anthology with only monokuma as reccuring characters if you have to

I don't really care about the lore or the worlds and only play for the characters and the class trials
Loz246789
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:13 AM)
Loz246789's Avatar

Originally Posted by darkziosj

The more i think about it the more i dislike it, cmon, so everything that was told was a lie, miu didn't suffer any accident, maki didn't watch her friend die... the characters and the world is almost pointless, it is pretty much "was a dream" story, at least in dr2 all that happen to the characters life REALLY happen, well i guess not anymore since all the fiction thing but yeah... why should anyone care about any of this caracters if they don't really exist outside the dr world.

But that's exactly what isn't the case though. Despite being "fiction", all these characters really existed in the game. They just happened to have their backstories made up beforehand. The point of the ending is that despite being fictional, the emotions the cast felt, and the experiences they went through, were still incredibly traumatising for them. At the end, some of them even manage to live on and escape into the outside world, with their fictional personalities intact.

Really, describing the characters as "fictional" is almost a bit inaccurate in universe. They only do so because in *our* reality, they are in fact fiction, the same as any other game you play, which lets you interpret the game with a meta narrative in mind.
Steel
Banned
(10-07-2017, 01:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Star Orpheus

The Kaede twist is the major thing that bugs me about this game. I legit would have bought it already if they didn't pull that crap. I seriously doubt it was any sort of sexist reasoning(they had a spinoff with a female lead after all) but I think they were ignorant of how it's kinda in bad taste.

Killing a female character is absolutely fine. This is a murder mystery it's going to happen. But killing a female lead to replace it with a male lead who gets the lions share of the focus and attention is just bad IMO. Add in how it's revealed that the mastermind cheated to kill her and how cruel her death was its really not a good look.

On the ending twist I don't really think DR 1+2 are meant to have really happened in the V3 world. It makes no sense when you add in stuff like DR0,DR3,or UDG. I basically just took it like how Digimon Season 3 treated 1+2. Fictional in that universe but still real in its own.


You know come to think of it Digimon season 3 was quite the meta mindfuck as well. Think anyone at Spike Chunsoft was a fan?

They did it for the gut punch. They did it to get an emotional reaction from the player. I will say they were highly successful. I found myself agreeing with the voice of the outside world whenever they were saying "this guy shoulda died instead of Kaede!". They damn well knew the reaction they'd get and that reaction is exactly what they wanted.

I was so shook after it even though I saw it coming from the moment Kaede spent shitloads of time at the bookshelf that I put the game down for an entire day. Not many games can make me feel that much.

That being said, I hope they don't pull this shit again and have a FeMC all the way through in the next game.

Originally Posted by blankempathy

Kokichi isn't a moron. He knew how much of an affect it would have had before hand. In fact you can argue that everyone knowing the truth would have stopped the killing game entirely since there would be no place to escape to. Gonta killed Miu because he had it put into his mind by Kokichi that it was the most merciful way to end her suffering and was going to kill everyone else later as well. He didn't want to simply end the game though. His main objective was to beat the mastermind.

Remember Kokichi saw the very thing that caused Gonta to think killing was a mercy, and somehow came out of it san-ish. Kokichi was playing the odds. If Gonta didn't kill MIu for him, he'd have gotten him to save him from Miu and told everyone else. But since that failed, he needed to manipulate Gonta to set himself up as the mastermind.

When he finally got himself to come off as the mastermind, he hoped that everyone would just live inside peacefully till he got the actual mastermind to come out by taking monokuma hostage. That's why he was disappointed when Maki came to kill him. Of course, he had a contingency there, too.
Funyarinpa
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:43 AM)
Funyarinpa's Avatar
One thing I don't get is that Kodaka says the ending wasn't meant to insult or implicate the fanbase. I thi think he said it qas made that way just so that the fans would be engaging with the Danganronpa story on a deeper level. I find that that really lowers the impact of the ending though. Opinions?
YearoftheWooster
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:48 AM)
YearoftheWooster's Avatar
I kinda wish that an alternate ending would be that the V3 killing game was real, but the first two were fictional. At first, I thought the divisive ending would just cheapen the legitimacy of the first two games, but now it's just cheapening the feel of the entire series. Still, I'm satisfied with most of the game's closure. Now to derp around in RPG mode and actually getting around to playing AE and watching DR3.
Poltergust
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:50 AM)
Poltergust's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grexeno

Danganronpa V3.

Does not.

Dismiss the first two games as fictional.

To quote Kirumi, I do not agree. There's a reason why this ending is divisive.

I need to get that dissertation done...
Amani
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:10 AM)
Amani's Avatar
Still think this is a great way to end the series if they wanted to.

I just want to chime in and say that I don't believe this invalidates the previous games at all. Said it before, but I think it's a cool take on having a game be in a separate universe from the rest of the series. It's doing the usual Danganronpa thing of having fun with itself and the medium it's in while horrible mind fuckery goes on.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(10-07-2017, 06:30 AM)
Lumination's Avatar
Absolutely loved chapter 6. Incredibly brave to really go out on a limb and break the 4th wall to this extent. The games already have a penchant for doing so, so I thought it was entirely in-character. I was surprised at how much I missed the old casts. Seeing them all again briefly tugged at the heartstrings a bit. Though "Danganronpa" will never not sound incredibly weird in English, no matter how many times you guys make the voice actors say it. Also I can't believe I didn't realize that K1B0 -> kibou -> hope in Japanese.

This game absolutely does not invalidate the first 2. The whole point of the ending was that fiction can affect reality. Just because the first 2 games are now "fiction" doesn't mean they didn't happen and doesn't delete the impact. The fact that we're even talking about this now proves the point.

So between Case 1, 5, and 6, this probably beats out DR2 as my favorite now. It's a shame 4 was so painfully bad.

But seriously guys, are we getting another one?
LiK
(10-07-2017, 07:07 AM)
LiK's Avatar
Maxed out friendships for all. Some interesting character revelations for them. I laughed at Street Fighter references with one of Gonta’s dialogues.
Sinh_Magnus
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:26 AM)
Sinh_Magnus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Loz246789

But that's exactly what isn't the case though. Despite being "fiction", all these characters really existed in the game. They just happened to have their backstories made up beforehand. The point of the ending is that despite being fictional, the emotions the cast felt, and the experiences they went through, were still incredibly traumatising for them. At the end, some of them even manage to live on and escape into the outside world, with their fictional personalities intact.

Really, describing the characters as "fictional" is almost a bit inaccurate in universe. They only do so because in *our* reality, they are in fact fiction, the same as any other game you play, which lets you interpret the game with a meta narrative in mind.

Totally agree with this. Tsumugi want them to believe that all what they went throught was for nothing. They proved her wrong. If It would have ended with "this is all a lie, just accept it and let V3 finish so we can continue on with V4" my opinion would have been very different.
Poltergust
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:37 PM)
Poltergust's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sinh_Magnus

Totally agree with this. Tsumugi want them to believe that all what they went throught was for nothing. They proved her wrong. If It would have ended with "this is all a lie, just accept it and let V3 finish so we can continue on with V4" my opinion would have been very different.

No, I don't think that's how it went. When faced with the truth of the situation at hand, they decided to burn it all down instead of allowing anybody else in the future to go through what they did. However, I don't think they really proved Tsumugi wrong in this regard; their defiance was instead focused on rejecting the "hope vs. despair" angle that she was trying to set up.

Remember, the reason why they went through all these class trials was to survive, but in the end they decided to end their lives. Their lives were only spared at the very last instant because of Keebo; they have already resigned themselves to give up their only driving force throughout the whole story.

My problem with the V3 characters, however, doesn't stem from their actions in the final class trial. What they did was admirable since they wanted to stop all future killing games.
Sinh_Magnus
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:56 PM)
Sinh_Magnus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poltergust

No, I don't think that's how it went. When faced with the truth of the situation at hand, they decided to burn it all down instead of allowing anybody else in the future to go through what they did. However, I don't think they really proved Tsumugi wrong in this regard; their defiance was instead focused on rejecting the "hope vs. despair" angle that she was trying to set up.

Remember, the reason why they went through all these class trials was to survive, but in the end they decided to end their lives. Their lives were only spared at the very last instant because of Keebo; they have already resigned themselves to give up their only driving force throughout the whole story.

My problem with the V3 characters, however, doesn't stem from their actions in the final class trial. What they did was admirable since they wanted to stop all future killing games.

I comprehend your point of view, but from my perspective, their final choice, regardless of how it went through, proved that their lives and experiences in the academy wasn't for nothing; everything that happened served for the final purpose that was ending the killing game without resorting to the hope vs despair argument.
To be fair, I don't see how our points of view contradict that much each other.
Animagne
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:08 PM)
I didn't really have any issues with the ending, besides it being too damn long. You could have cut off 2 hours there easily.
Catvoca
Banned
(10-07-2017, 05:26 PM)
This game kind of makes me understand DR3 a bit more. After finishing the anime I was left wondering why they even bothered making it, it's not like there were really that many questions people had that needed answering from DR 1&2. But seeing the ending to V3, I can understand them thinking "OK, V3 is probably going to piss people off, let's give them a goodbye and some closure to the world of DR1&2 with this anime so that V3 saying they are fictional will maybe seem less abrasive".

Doesn't make DR3 any better but I can see why they'd make it now.
Star Orpheus
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:32 PM)
Star Orpheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Catvoca

This game kind of makes me understand DR3 a bit more. After finishing the anime I was left wondering why they even bothered making this, it's not like there were really that many questions people had that needed answering from DR 1&2. But seeing the ending to this, I can understand them thinking "OK, V3 is probably going to piss people off, let's give them a goodbye and some closure to the world of DR1&2 with this anime so that V3 saying they are fictional will maybe seem less abrasive".

Doesn't make DR3 any better but I can see why they'd make it now.

I know it goes against what a lot of people like about this series and I understand it has MAJOR issues but dammit I liked the cast of 2 being alright. Easily my favorite group.

Again I know why people disliked it but I can't help it I was happy to see that.

I have no issue with Danganronpa starting from an in universe tv show in the V3 world. That doesn't invalidate the series at all. Again Digimon Tamers did the same thing. Hell Digimon Adventure still got a sequel after Tamers.

Now if it goes that 1+2 were seasons of the show and were that kind of "fake" then yeah I would be upset but from my understanding that is deliberately left vague so for now I'm fine with it.
KLoWn
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:48 PM)
KLoWn's Avatar
Danganronpa 1 & 2 were in one universe and DR V3 in another where the two previous games were just fiction.

That's how I chose to see it, because the DR1+2 universe was way more interesting, and this way they can go back to doing stuff in that verse (hopefully it'll happen).
FluxWaveZ
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:49 PM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by KLoWn

Danganronpa 1 & 2 were in one universe and DR3 in another where the two previous games were just fiction.

That's how I chose to see it, because the DR1+2 universe was way more interesting, and this way they can go back to doing stuff in that verse (hopefully it'll happen).

Have you seen Danganronpa 3? I really don't see what else would be worth revisiting from DR1 and DR2 after that mess.
KLoWn
Member
(10-07-2017, 05:51 PM)
KLoWn's Avatar

Originally Posted by FluxWaveZ

Have you seen Danganronpa 3? I really don't see what else would be worth revisiting from DR1 and DR2 after that mess.

I don't share the hate for Danganronpa 3, even though I didn't love it.

That said, it's the fact that that entire world was just fiction that annoys me. I liked that world and wanted to see more of it.
Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz
(10-07-2017, 05:59 PM)
Brazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by KLoWn

I don't share the hate for Danganronpa 3, even though I didn't love it.

That said, it's the fact that that entire world was just fiction that annoys me. I liked that world and wanted to see more of it.

The game clearly leaves this open for interpretation.
Steel
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:01 PM)
Honestly, I really don't mind that the DR 1 & 2 worlds were fiction that much. The whole "wold thrown into despair by one sick high schooler" thing was completely absurd in the first place. The "it's a tv show angle" makes a lot more sense then the previous attempts at explaining how things ended up.

However, I kinda wonder where DR:AE fits into the tv series explanation. And if it does fit, how many spin-off shows does DR have in addition to the 53 mainline series.

All that being said, I do think a plausible explanation is that DR 1 & 2 were real in the V3 universe and the events in DR 1 being broadcast everywhere led to the formula being popularized as an actual tv show.
FluxWaveZ
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:02 PM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brazil

The game clearly leaves this open for interpretation.

Of course it does, because they need to secure a sequel route for themselves.

Originally Posted by Steel

However, I kinda wonder where DR:AE fits into the tv series explanation. And if it does fit, how many spin-off shows does DR have in addition to the 53 mainline series..

I would interpret all the spin-off media as being backgrounds within that fictional world that we can experience, but which weren't broadcast in the Danganronpa "real world." Or, considering DR's popularity, it'd probably also have spin-off video games and books and such.
KLoWn
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:04 PM)
KLoWn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brazil

The game clearly leaves this open for interpretation.

And that's why I chose to see it as something that happens in two different universes.

*Edit*
I just noticed that I said it was a "fact" in my previous post. That was a mistake on my part.

Originally Posted by Steel

The whole "wold thrown into despair by one sick high schooler" thing was completely absurd in the first place.

That's why it's fun. "Absurd" is fun.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(10-07-2017, 06:05 PM)
AniHawk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Steel

Honestly, I really don't mind that the DR 1 & 2 worlds were fiction that much. The whole "wold thrown into despair by one sick high schooler" thing was completely absurd in the first place. The "it's a tv show angle" makes a lot more sense then the previous attempts at explaining how things ended up.

However, I kinda wonder where DR:AE fits into the tv series explanation. And if it does fit, how many spin-off shows does DR have in addition to the 53 mainline series.

All that being said, I do think a plausible explanation is that DR 1 & 2 were real in the V3 universe and the events in DR 1 being broadcast everywhere led to the formula being popularized as an actual tv show.

the way i understand it, it's not an alternate universe of danganronpa, but an alternate universe of our own. the video game and media franchise that is danganronpa as we know it taken to extremes in order to satisfy the fanbase. i like the humor in that - where this is the same franchise, but out of gas and so out of ideas it's introducing monokuma spinoff characters, they're in hope's peak academy (in space!), having audience participation, etc.
FluxWaveZ
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:06 PM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by AniHawk

the way i understand it, it's not an alternate universe of danganronpa, but an alternate universe of our own. the video game and media franchise that is danganronpa as we know it taken to extremes in order to satisfy the fanbase. i like the humor in that - where this is the same franchise, but out of gas and so out of ideas it's introducing monokuma spinoff characters, they're in hope's peak academy (in space!), having audience participation, etc.

I like that idea in concept, but I feel it's punching above its weight when it's been a series with blatantly redundant ideas since game/season two.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(10-07-2017, 06:10 PM)
Lumination's Avatar
The uncomfortable truth is that the Danganronpa universe is incredibly unrealistic, wacky, and cannot be enjoyed without a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief. While I can't speak for everyone, my impression (from reading forums and steam reviews) is that the community is divided between those who do that and those who were really invested in that universe.

For people like myself in the former group, this is a fantastic ending. All at once it explains away the ridiculous premise of the series, incorporates this meta narrative that only a series like Danganronpa could do, and reminds us that although it was all fiction, the impact is real.

Folks in the latter group just need to understand that nothing was invalidated. The universe can go on. The devs have AT LEAST two avenues to explore. They can essentially make DR4 or DR54. The possibilities are widely expanded at the cost of making DR1 and 2 a fiction within a fiction within our real world, rather than just a fiction within our real world, if that makes sense.
Sinh_Magnus
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:12 PM)
Sinh_Magnus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lumination

The uncomfortable truth is that the Danganronpa universe is incredibly unrealistic, wacky, and cannot be enjoyed without a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief. While I can't speak for everyone, my impression (from reading forums and steam reviews) is that the community is divided between those who do that and those who were really invested in that universe.

For people like myself in the former group, this is a fantastic ending. All at once it explains away the ridiculous premise of the series, incorporates this meta narrative that only a series like Danganronpa could do, and reminds us that although it was all fiction, the impact is real.

Folks in the latter group just need to understand that nothing was invalidated. The universe can go on. The devs have AT LEAST two avenues to explore. They can essentially make DR4 or DR54. The possibilities are widely expanded at the cost of making DR1 and 2 a fiction within a fiction within our real world, rather than just a fiction within our real world, if that makes sense.

I couldn't have said it better.
Funyarinpa
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:22 PM)
Funyarinpa's Avatar
I mean no insult, but I think people convinced and bummed that DR1 and DR2 were fictional all along really missed or disagree with V3's entire point.
Loz246789
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:35 PM)
Loz246789's Avatar

Originally Posted by Funyarinpa

I mean no insult, but I think people convinced and bummed that DR1 and DR2 were fictional all along really missed or disagree with V3's entire point.

I kind of agree, honestly. If, in a game, you saw someone else playing a ps4, playing the last of us, you'd never say "well that just completely devalues the story of the last of us". It's a cute reference, and of course someone could be playing it, it's a videogame.

DRV3 is like that to DR1 and 2, but it just so happens to be a plot point rather than a reference. That's all. The games are no more or less fictional than before you played DRV3, and they still have exactly the same inherent emotional impact.
Gradon
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:37 PM)
Gradon's Avatar
Okay so I've been trying to complete the free time events for everyone using Kaede in Chapter 1 but I can't continue Angie's events past her first one? I thought that Kaede had two events with every character? I've been replaying free time from chapter select to complete them. Anyone know why?
FluxWaveZ
Member
(10-07-2017, 06:49 PM)
FluxWaveZ's Avatar
I wonder why there was a book about the entire history of Hope's Peak Academy which contradicted the memories of the characters, when there'd be no reason for them to contradict each other at all. Tsumugi obviously didn't want the truth coming to light until she was cornered since she needed the show to go on.

Wonder if that's meant to be another one of the instances where she messed up, overlooking minor details when creating Flashback Lights.
Star Orpheus
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:00 PM)
Star Orpheus's Avatar
Ok I've brought it up twice now but I'm legit curious were people claiming Digimon Tamers invalidate Adventure? Because it more or less did the same thing V3 did.
bbkkristian
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:22 PM)
bbkkristian's Avatar

Originally Posted by KLoWn

That said, it's the fact that that entire world was just fiction that annoys me. I liked that world and wanted to see more of it.

Exactly, thats why I don't like the ending. It nullifies everything before it. Normally when i do the endgame things, i feel motivated to get them done, but after those events, im like "none of this matters, its according to canon. Even who they are is fake" and thats heartbreaking when i spent 40 hours attaching myself to these characters (and more for the previous games).
Funyarinpa
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:32 PM)
Funyarinpa's Avatar
It strikes me as odd that people complaining DR1&2 (we don't speak of the third abomination) was invalidated by V3 don't feel that V3 *itself* was invalidated.

V3's cast is also, quite literally, fictional. How are they different from DR1/DR2's cast that their struggles are not invalidated?
Star Orpheus
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:45 PM)
Star Orpheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Funyarinpa

It strikes me as odd that people complaining DR1&2 (we don't speak of the third abomination) was invalidated by V3 don't feel that V3 *itself* was invalidated.

V3's cast is also, quite literally, fictional. How are they different from DR1/DR2's cast that their struggles are not invalidated?

My guess is because there a lot more invested in that world. There have been several spin offs and such that elaborated that games story so they feel more attached to it. When they here "it's fictional" they believe it no longer maters or that the Hope's Peak World is irrelevant.

Which again is BS see, sorry to keep beating this dead horse, Digimon Adventure Tri.

A world being fiction within fiction does not mean it's invalidated.

That being said I'm being somewhat hypocritical as like I said above if they say DR 1+2 were seasons of the show I would be upset.
Zaverious
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:46 PM)
Zaverious's Avatar

Originally Posted by bbkkristian

Exactly, thats why I don't like the ending. It nullifies everything before it. Normally when i do the endgame things, i feel motivated to get them done, but after those events, im like "none of this matters, its according to canon. Even who they are is fake" and thats heartbreaking when i spent 40 hours attaching myself to these characters (and more for the previous games).

The tragic events the characters went through in the killing game still happened and they managed to change the outside world from within V3. How does it nullify anything?
Otaku Coder
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 07:48 PM)
Otaku Coder's Avatar
As much as I loved them getting back (almost?) every character and their VAs for the finale, as someone who played it with the JP voices it kinda bummed me out that Nobuyo Ooyama (Monokuma in DR1/2) couldn’t be among them.

In fact, I’ve been wondering if Ooyama having to retire influenced Kodaka’s decision to drive the plot towards this end. Monokuma, and Ooyama’s performance in particular, was so influential in Danganronpa becoming a big hit in Japan and is the central face and voice of the franchise.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(10-07-2017, 07:51 PM)
Lumination's Avatar
I wanted to share the moment I finally felt outsmarted by the game. No doubt a lot of you (at least those as slow as me) felt the same, and it's something I'll look back on and smile.

It was during the "What season are we in?" Hangman game.

"Oh, obviously 3. There are two digits? Ok. 0."

"....no? Ok.... well let's just input 3 first and see what happens.

"Hm. That didn't work. OH DUH. Obviously, I'm supposed to hunt for the V. Haha silly devs. You can't fool me. I bet it has a lower appearance rate too. Sounds like something they'd do."

*2 minutes of constant scanning later*

"Ok, video game senses are telling me that I'm wrong. Do I just start gue- OHHHHHHHH. OHHHHHHHH."

*cue chills*

Originally Posted by Sinh_Magnus

I couldn't have said it better.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by bbkkristian

Exactly, thats why I don't like the ending. It nullifies everything before it. Normally when i do the endgame things, i feel motivated to get them done, but after those events, im like "none of this matters, its according to canon. Even who they are is fake" and thats heartbreaking when i spent 40 hours attaching myself to these characters (and more for the previous games).

I don't understand this. You obviously know the game is fictional. The DR1 and 2 cast were never your real life friends. What's the big deal with V3 acknowledging that its cast is fictional? It's a similar 4th wall breaking nod like when Monokuma addresses you, the player. And the whole premise at the end is that even though it's all fake, what happened to the fake characters are real to them. Spending more time with them creates moments just as real (or as fake) as they did before.
Trigonometrize.
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:07 PM)
Trigonometrize.'s Avatar
I asked in OT but no reply yet so

In my event gallery I'm missing three events immediately after Keebo's Final Form. Are these for the epilogue? Cause I'm pretty sure I played that.

Originally Posted by Lumination

I wanted to share the moment I finally felt outsmarted by the game. No doubt a lot of you (at least those as slow as me) felt the same, and it's something I'll look back on and smile.

It was during the "What season are we in?" Hangman game.

Sorry to toot my horn but as soon as I saw the two digits it clicked that it was a roman numeral and 53. That V has been bothering me ever since we first knew about Dangaronpa 3 and V3 and it all coalesced into one moment, which was cool regardless of how fast I got it.
Steel
Banned
(10-07-2017, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by FluxWaveZ

I would interpret all the spin-off media as being backgrounds within that fictional world that we can experience, but which weren't broadcast in the Danganronpa "real world." Or, considering DR's popularity, it'd probably also have spin-off video games and books and such.

I mean, they did mention AE in the beginning trailer, but they didn't mention it at the trial. The way the killing game reality show works is that everyone volunteered for it, but for something on the scale of AE that seems a little impossible. Who'd volunteer to be random NPC that gets murdered in the first scene they're featured, anyway?

Originally Posted by KLoWn

That's why it's fun. "Absurd" is fun.

To be more precise, I agree that absurd can be fun, but there's a certain level of absurd that's just throwing random shit on the wall.

Originally Posted by AniHawk

the way i understand it, it's not an alternate universe of danganronpa, but an alternate universe of our own. the video game and media franchise that is danganronpa as we know it taken to extremes in order to satisfy the fanbase. i like the humor in that - where this is the same franchise, but out of gas and so out of ideas it's introducing monokuma spinoff characters, they're in hope's peak academy (in space!), having audience participation, etc.

That's definitely one way to look at it. I agree that the explanation for the monokubs existing only to change things up for ratings is awesome.

Originally Posted by Lumination

The uncomfortable truth is that the Danganronpa universe is incredibly unrealistic, wacky, and cannot be enjoyed without a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief. While I can't speak for everyone, my impression (from reading forums and steam reviews) is that the community is divided between those who do that and those who were really invested in that universe.

For people like myself in the former group, this is a fantastic ending. All at once it explains away the ridiculous premise of the series, incorporates this meta narrative that only a series like Danganronpa could do, and reminds us that although it was all fiction, the impact is real.

Folks in the latter group just need to understand that nothing was invalidated. The universe can go on. The devs have AT LEAST two avenues to explore. They can essentially make DR4 or DR54. The possibilities are widely expanded at the cost of making DR1 and 2 a fiction within a fiction within our real world, rather than just a fiction within our real world, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I think this sums up people's feelings on the ending.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(10-07-2017, 08:32 PM)
Lumination's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trigonometrize.

I asked in OT but no reply yet so

In my event gallery I'm missing three events immediately after Keebo's Final Form. Are these for the epilogue? Cause I'm pretty sure I played that.

Those are the secret events that you can trigger throughout the game. Typically, in the segments where you have to go to the dining hall for plot, you can talk to the students on the way and some of them will invite you to do things afterwards (might require specific items). You seem to have the latter half unlocked, so you probably know what I'm talking about. The first one you're missing is with Tsumugi in the very first chapter. IIRC it's after you meet her the first time. Second one is related to the casino, but I don't remember the trigger. Might be Kaito? The third one is the only one I don't have unlocked haha. Sorry! My suspicion is that it's in Ch3 with Korekiyo since he invited me to hang out, but then never came to "pick me up".

Originally Posted by Trigonometrize.

Sorry to toot my horn but as soon as I saw the two digits it clicked that it was a roman numeral and 53. That V has been bothering me ever since we first knew about Dangaronpa 3 and V3 and it all coalesced into one moment, which was cool regardless of how fast I got it.

I just figured V3 was another quirky Japanese name. But realizing Junko the 53rd had significance beyond just illustrating it was a time skip was cool.
bbkkristian
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:34 PM)
bbkkristian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lumination

I don't understand this. You obviously know the game is fictional. The DR1 and 2 cast were never your real life friends. What's the big deal with V3 acknowledging that its cast is fictional? It's a similar 4th wall breaking nod like when Monokuma addresses you, the player. And the whole premise at the end is that even though it's all fake, what happened to the fake characters are real to them. Spending more time with them creates moments just as real (or as fake) as they did before.

Haha was that supposed to be an insult? Let me elaborate.

The controversial plot twist sits near the "Its all a dream" cliche as really, everything that was in DR1 + DR2 was nothing but fabrication and did not matter in the current scale of the world (which is now pointing to a "Real" world according to DRV3). Sure there are ties, but the narration of the two games are really just lying to the player, blissfully creating a world that is not the true one that the player would think. By the end of DRV3, those deaths in the previous games are now Meaningless, even their real selves are meaningless, they don't matter in the current canon now due to the universe scale now being in the meta. They lied to the participants, and the player as well. This plot twist reminds me of Disney destroying the EU canon. Rereading those books, it is just nostalgia at this point.
I saw a great deal of people saying that this game was supposed to be its own brand new start to the series. In a sense, they are right, but in the last two chapters, it decided to invite the previous two games into its world and wipe them from the canon, and the game made it sure to say that too through Tsumugi.

Excuse me while I'm not hopping on the bandwagon of people praising this twist. I will say I enjoyed the gameplay sections of it and refusing to cooperate with the game at the end. That was cool.
Grexeno
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:40 PM)
Grexeno's Avatar
If you can't understand that DR 1+2 and V3 are in different universes, you are literally choosing to be salty.
bbkkristian
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:41 PM)
bbkkristian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grexeno

If you can't understand that DR 1+2 and V3 are in different universes, you are literally choosing to be salty.

DRV3 encompasses DR1+2.

EDIT: V3 introduces the "Real" world, and the killing games were nothing but sets and fabrications by Team Dangan.
Lumination
'enry 'ollins
(10-07-2017, 08:42 PM)
Lumination's Avatar

Originally Posted by bbkkristian

Haha was that supposed to be an insult?

Absolutely not. Sorry if it came off that way.

Originally Posted by bbkkristian

The controversial plot twist sits near the "Its all a dream" cliche as really, everything that was in DR1 + DR2 was nothing but fabrication and did not matter in the current scale of the world (which is now pointing to a "Real" world according to DRV3). Sure there are ties, but the narration of the two games are really just lying to the player, blissfully creating a world that is not the true one that the player would think. By the end of DRV3, those deaths in the previous games are now Meaningless, even their real selves are meaningless, they don't matter in the current canon now due to the universe scale now being in the meta. They lied to the participants, and the player as well. This plot twist reminds me of Disney destroying the EU canon. Rereading those books, it is just nostalgia at this point.
I saw a great deal of people saying that this game was supposed to be its own brand new start to the series. In a sense, they are right, but in the last two chapters, it decided to invite the previous two games into its world and wipe them from the canon, and the game made it sure to say that too through Tsumugi.

Excuse me while I'm not hopping on the bandwagon of people praising this twist. I will say I enjoyed the gameplay sections of it and refusing to cooperate with the game at the end. That was cool.

But it's not "it's all a dream". And it's not analogous to the SW EU canon. The dream cliche is a copout because the dream has no repercussions to the dreamer. The SW situation is Disney actively ignoring the existence of the EU.

This is literally the opposite. My biggest complaint with the V3 ending is that they spend TOO MUCH time harping about how they're going to reject the game and how the outside world (audience) eventually follows along. The whole point is that what happened in DR1 and 2 affects the characters in V3 and affects the outside world. This is literally the opposite of making them "meaningless". DR 1 and 2 just simply have new meaning instead. Rather than ignore, reject, or wave away DR 1 and 2, V3 embraces them and pulls them into a brave new meta world.

Also, liking the ending is not "bandwagoning" lol.
Grexeno
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:42 PM)
Grexeno's Avatar

Originally Posted by bbkkristian

DRV3 encompasses DR1+2.

But it doesn't. It exists in a separate universe in which the first two games actually exist as games.

Like I said, choosing to be salty.

Thread Tools