• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

NoblesseOblige
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:15 PM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar
I knew a monster of a guy in high school who got bodied by somebody a foot shorter and hundred pounds lighter because he never learned to fight due to everyone assuming he'd wreck them.
Shadybiz
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:17 PM)
Shadybiz's Avatar
I agree with you 100%, OP. I'm 5'11", 200 lbs, and in real life, would just assume that I would get CRUSHED by Henry Cavill.

...People are dumb, in real life and in fiction.
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:21 PM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nightwing123

I'm pretty sure Henry Cavill is 6'1 or 6 but I get your point. This is a bad/mediocre movie, so I don't expect much to make much sense. The guy is just probably a random jerk.

lolno

Man of Steel is a good movie.
Oregano
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:26 PM)
Oregano's Avatar
As someone who stands at 6'5 and not exactly lanky I can say that there's no shortage of douches who want to start shit. Being big even makes you a target for some of them.
BladeoftheImmortal
Banned
(10-07-2017, 07:33 AM)
BladeoftheImmortal's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

what episode is that from?
Hazelhurst
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:20 AM)
Hazelhurst's Avatar
sankt-Antonio
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:30 AM)
sankt-Antonio's Avatar
You guys who think Klark bend that truck around the post because he was mad at the guy didnt get the memo. Klark is frustrated with his live, its shown that he always had to hold back, like his whole life. Destroying that truck was an outlet for his frustration.

Thats what I got from the scene anyway.
a.wd
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:40 AM)
a.wd's Avatar
The vast majority of dudes who've picked a fight with me have been shorter than me, and short guys among my social group have put me in fights on their behalf, some people are just exploitative dicks.

In man of steel I related to that scene massively. I have literally been in the scenario apart from the juggling trucks bit.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(10-07-2017, 08:42 AM)
Dreams-Visions's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hazelhurst

look at those soft eyes

10/10 bitchmade, would splash drink in face again
EGM1966
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:55 AM)
EGM1966's Avatar
The correct answer is because the narrative demanded it.

Like much in the film it felt overly forced by the narrative vs emerging naturally from it.

Its also just a variation on elements from S1 & S2 with Reeves - MoS being very much a replay of those in many aspects.
CaviarMeths
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:58 AM)
CaviarMeths's Avatar
The truckers in the bar should have been a group of about 6 or so burly dudes who looked like they chopped down trees for fun on their time off. At least then the narrative would have been more believable. Because yeah, even if he wasn't a superpowered alien, regular ol' farmer Clark could have seriously fucked that guy up and everyone in the room knew it.
Caelus
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:06 AM)
Caelus's Avatar
I'm not familiar with Superman comics, but I think in some stories like All-Star they depict how Clark Kent's change of posture makes him look less threatening.
SixFourMike
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:46 AM)
Man of Steel never portrayed Superman as the same Superman from the comics, the perfectly good guy that never kills. I thought that was obvious from the first time I watched MoS.
Bad_Boy
time to take my meds
(10-07-2017, 10:15 AM)
Bad_Boy's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeemumu

Most older superhero movies have that obligatory "pick a fight with the hero's alter ego" moment.


Dont forget every single mutant in xmen.

I think this is why guys like Blade are my favorite. His name preceeds him in most of his scenes.

Soon as hes spotted... "The daywalker!"
DeathyBoy
A lot of loyalty for a hired gun!
(10-07-2017, 10:20 AM)
DeathyBoy's Avatar

Originally Posted by CaviarMeths

The truckers in the bar should have been a group of about 6 or so burly dudes who looked like they chopped down trees for fun on their time off. At least then the narrative would have been more believable. Because yeah, even if he wasn't a superpowered alien, regular ol' farmer Clark could have seriously fucked that guy up and everyone in the room knew it.

I love this "big guys know how to fight" thing we got going on here.

Having muscles doesn't make you worth a damn in a fight.
sirap
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:21 AM)
sirap's Avatar

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Im just watching Man of Steel for the first time and just dont get it.

Why are truck drivers who are like one head shorter than Kent picking a fight with him?
I mean they dont even know its Superman, but come on. That guy is like over 62 and pretty muscular.
You dont wanna fight with someone like that or are people really that dense?

He probably had a gun as a backup plan in case the tall buff supermodel punked him.
Haunted
(10-07-2017, 10:28 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

There's a Simpsons scene for everything.
andthebeatgoeson
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 10:37 AM)
andthebeatgoeson's Avatar
He was also a worker. Worker wants his job so he'll just be defensive. And the guy was being a dick to the lady so he doesn't make the best decisions.
formasymphonic
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:48 AM)
formasymphonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

Because he was working. I have had so many people give me shit while I was working who know full well that I can't retaliate/escalate.

People are dicks.

Originally Posted by Slaythe

The real answer is :

He's a customer.

If Clark hits the customer he's fired.

So he was testing him and trying to play tough.

Originally Posted by sankt-Antonio

You guys who think Klark bend that truck around the post because he was mad at the guy didnt get the memo. Klark is frustrated with his live, its shown that he always had to hold back, like his whole life. Destroying that truck was an outlet for his frustration.

Thats what I got from the scene anyway.

these guys get it
StayDead
um wat
(10-07-2017, 10:57 AM)
StayDead's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

God damn.
Dehnus
Banned
(10-07-2017, 11:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Im just watching Man of Steel for the first time and just dont get it.

Why are truck drivers who are like one head shorter than Kent picking a fight with him?
I mean they dont even know its Superman, but come on. That guy is like over 62 and pretty muscular.
You dont wanna fight with someone like that or are people really that dense?

Well Metropolis is often supposed to be a tongue in cheek representation of 1930's New York by day (where Gotham is the same but then by night). So maybe that's why they keep making people so stereotypical of our image of New York at that time.

Furthermore he is supposed to be a "mild mannered naive farm boy", so I guess they push that narrative far to hard by making everybody in the "big city" a rushing and jaded jerk in comparison.
CaviarMeths
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:34 AM)
CaviarMeths's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathyBoy

I love this "big guys know how to fight" thing we got going on here.

Having muscles doesn't make you worth a damn in a fight.

Unless you're up against a professionally trained fighter, you really don't need to know how to fight if you have a 50lb weight advantage. No need to weave and duck. Just grab the guy and wing it.
Bishop89
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:16 PM)
Bishop89's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

This post is great
NewGame
Banned
(10-07-2017, 12:47 PM)
ArtHands
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:57 PM)
A better question will be why he didnt try to save his father from the tornado
Bishop89
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:16 PM)
Bishop89's Avatar

Originally Posted by Caelus

I'm not familiar with Superman comics, but I think in some stories like All-Star they depict how Clark Kent's change of posture makes him look less threatening.

Screaming Meat
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:22 PM)
Screaming Meat's Avatar

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

Spot. On.
Geist-
Member
(10-07-2017, 01:55 PM)
Geist-'s Avatar
This makes Spider-man seem genius by comparison. Even after he becomes a superhero he's still a short, skinny teenager (in most portrayals), so it makes sense for him to be bullied.
Auto_aim1
MeisaMcCaffrey
(10-07-2017, 02:00 PM)
Auto_aim1's Avatar
He had friends as a backup I guess. Yeah, it was pretty dumb though.
ajim
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:03 PM)
ajim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bishop89

That is so good
SpaceWolf
No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
(10-07-2017, 02:10 PM)
SpaceWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by ajim

That is so good

Christopher Reeve was so goddamn perfect as Superman. It pains me how poorly served he was by some of his movies.
Volimar
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:14 PM)
Volimar's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeemumu

Most older superhero movies have that obligatory "pick a fight with the hero's alter ego" moment.



Bruce and Joker did it in the first Tim Burton Batman

Peter and Flash did it in Spider-Man

Johnny Blaze did it in Ghost Rider

This is pretty much all that ever happens to Bruce Banner in every single Hulk film

They even did it in Catwoman with her annoying neighbors

Iron Fist's fist seems to rely on people doing this to him

Elektra did this to Matt Murdock in Daredevil

It's a running joke with Luke Cage

Tony usually brings it on himself

Saitama's whole life is this in One Punch Man

I don't know how many mutants' backstories start with "I got in a fight and accidentally unleashed my power" and Wolverine spends enough time in bars for this to be commonplace

I want this scene to happen in the Captain Marvel movie before she gets her powers and she just kicks their ass anyway because she's in the Armed Forces.
Bleepey
Member
(10-07-2017, 02:24 PM)
Bleepey's Avatar

Originally Posted by SixFourMike

Man of Steel never portrayed Superman as the same Superman from the comics, the perfectly good guy that never kills. I thought that was obvious from the first time I watched MoS.

Neither did Donner. Lol
EGM1966
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:03 PM)
EGM1966's Avatar

Originally Posted by SpaceWolf

Christopher Reeve was so goddamn perfect as Superman. It pains me how poorly served he was by some of his movies.

Yah. He nailed the classic ideal of the character. He just looked exactly right too. If he was playing role today with the body routine theyd give him and modern effects it would be a joy to watch.
elrechazado
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:25 PM)
elrechazado's Avatar
I don't get what's wrong with man of steel's bar scene. Drunk truck driver is harassing a female server. Clark the busboy intervenes soft spokenly. Drunk truck driver is drunk, and is a tough guy douche, and decides to mess with him.

Reading the op, you'd think the guy came up and tried to fight Clark based on nothing other than how he looked. Do people even watch movies when they're watching them?
The Shadow
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:48 PM)
The Shadow's Avatar
One reason I absolutely hated that scene is because Clark/Superman absolutely had to get him back, and passive-aggressively jacked up his truck for audience laughs. A real "hero" would have let that situation go, because in the end, that drunk trucker was small beans. It's almost disturbing that someone with god-like powers can be so petty. At the very least, Donner's Superman faced off with the trucker to his face, not behind his back, though I wasn't a big fan of that scene in Superman 2 either. I just hate it slightly less.

Granted, that's just one issue I've had with Snyder's interpretation. There's a lot more, but it's already been said and done, and far better than I could.

Originally Posted by Bishop89

Man, I miss Christopher Reeve's portrayal. I mean, I feel bad for Cavill. He'd probably be a decent Superman if the characterization wasn't so fucked up for him.
Patrick Bateman
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:08 PM)
Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Originally Posted by elrechazado

I don't get what's wrong with man of steel's bar scene. Drunk truck driver is harassing a female server. Clark the busboy intervenes soft spokenly. Drunk truck driver is drunk, and is a tough guy douche, and decides to mess with him.

Reading the op, you'd think the guy came up and tried to fight Clark based on nothing other than how he looked. Do people even watch movies when they're watching them?

Do people even read the OP when they're reading them?
Allonym
There should be more tampons in gaming
(10-07-2017, 08:13 PM)
Allonym's Avatar
Short Man's complex or whatever is bullshit. If you'd be an aggressor towards a person smaller or the same stature as you but aren't of the same disposition when facing a larger person, you're a coward.
Setsuna
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Geist-

This makes Spider-man seem genius by comparison. Even after he becomes a superhero he's still a short, skinny teenager (in most portrayals), so it makes sense for him to be bullied.

Nice to know that it doesn't make sense that I a 6'1 230lb male cannot be bullied by smaller individuals
Bleepey
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:22 PM)
Bleepey's Avatar

Originally Posted by elrechazado

I don't get what's wrong with man of steel's bar scene. Drunk truck driver is harassing a female server. Clark the busboy intervenes soft spokenly. Drunk truck driver is drunk, and is a tough guy douche, and decides to mess with him.

Reading the op, you'd think the guy came up and tried to fight Clark based on nothing other than how he looked. Do people even watch movies when they're watching them?

The perfect Superman would have picked a fight with the harasser, kicked his ass all over the bar and ruined over people's meals cos he pays for it before hand.
Brawly Likes to Brawl
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:24 PM)
Brawly Likes to Brawl's Avatar
"those are are just vanity muscles, I'm sure I can take him"
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(10-07-2017, 08:27 PM)
MattKeil's Avatar

Originally Posted by formasymphonic

these guys get it

Yup. I hate Man of Steel but this is not some kind of flaw in the movie. People fuck with waitstaff all the time, it's just that most real world waitstaff can't tie the assholes' vehicles into a bow on the way home. It's actually a pretty good character moment for Clark from a filmmaking perspective, even if the character it reveals is kind of terrible.
Veelk
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:28 PM)
Veelk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bleepey

The perfect Superman would have picked a fight with the harasser, kicked his ass all over the bar and ruined over people's meals cos he pays for it before hand.

I know this is your 'thing' to play up any flaws of the other supermen so Cavill's doesn't look as sucky by comparison, but....

are you seriously suggesting that ruining people's meals is the equivalent of doing tends of thousands of property damage to that dude's truck?

I'm trying to imagine myself if I was there. If I was eating my lunch at a bar and a fight broke out in which a dude knocked my plate over in the scuffle, assuming that I would later get replaced for free, I honestly wouldn't care.

I guess I'd be mildly annoyed at the inconvenience of having to wait for another plate, but that would be balanced out by the cathartic satisfaction of seeing a jerk get his shit kicked in. IIRC, this dude was an asshole to other guys besides clark. Even if I wasn't getting another plate, if we're operating from the position that this dude harassed me and others at some point, the price of a lost meal would be money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Veelk; 10-07-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Some Nobody
Junior Member
(10-07-2017, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by The Shadow

One reason I absolutely hated that scene is because Clark/Superman absolutely had to get him back, and passive-aggressively jacked up his truck for audience laughs. A real "hero" would have let that situation go, because in the end, that drunk trucker was small beans. It's almost disturbing that someone with god-like powers can be so petty. At the very least, Donner's Superman faced off with the trucker to his face, not behind his back, though I wasn't a big fan of that scene in Superman 2 either. I just hate it slightly less.

I see what you're saying and agree with you...it still makes Superman sound like a bitch, tho. Best way to handle that scene is to not have written it, lol.
Geist-
Member
(10-08-2017, 01:20 AM)
Geist-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Setsuna

Nice to know that it doesn't make sense that I a 6'1 230lb male cannot be bullied by smaller individuals

Do you also have this physique?
Mugsy
Member
(10-08-2017, 01:54 AM)
Mugsy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bishop89

Youtube link of scene, the audio makes it even better
Bleepey
Member
(10-08-2017, 02:06 AM)
Bleepey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Veelk

I know this is your 'thing' to play up any flaws of the other supermen so Cavill's doesn't look as sucky by comparison, but....

are you seriously suggesting that ruining people's meals is the equivalent of doing tends of thousands of property damage to that dude's truck?

I'm trying to imagine myself if I was there. If I was eating my lunch at a bar and a fight broke out in which a dude knocked my plate over in the scuffle, assuming that I would later get replaced for free, I honestly wouldn't care.

I guess I'd be mildly annoyed at the inconvenience of having to wait for another plate, but that would be balanced out by the cathartic satisfaction of seeing a jerk get his shit kicked in. IIRC, this dude was an asshole to other guys besides clark. Even if I wasn't getting another plate, if we're operating from the position that this dude harassed me and others at some point, the price of a lost meal would be money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Reeves went out of the way to get revenge with the trucker. This wasn't in the heat of the moment like Cavill. It was premeditated. He stood outside of the diner waiting for him, then went to a cash point withdrew money with the sole intention of knowing that he has got his powers back it won't be a fair fight. He has a habit of using excessive force as evidenced by him torturing a defenceless Zod, throwing him against a wall to freeze and drown to death without an ounce of remorse unlike Cavill who felt remorse about being placed in that situation. But to answer your question, are they equivalent? Probably not. But my point was mocking the argument that Superman would never do anything so petty
Currygan
at last, for christ's sake
(10-08-2017, 02:07 AM)
Currygan's Avatar
Because Joe Pesci happened
Jean Valjean
Member
(10-08-2017, 04:29 AM)
Jean Valjean's Avatar
Oh great, the Donner's Superman haters have arrived.

Thread Tools