• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Chance Hale
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:14 AM)
Chance Hale's Avatar
I ordered an IPad Pro 12.9 but otherwise use android and Windows devices. Are all file transfers and such regulated to iTunes or what?
Quick
Banned
(10-06-2017, 12:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Chance Hale

I ordered an IPad Pro 12.9 but otherwise use android and Windows devices. Are all file transfers and such regulated to iTunes or what?

For the most part. You can also use cloud storage services.
Mafro
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:10 AM)
Mafro's Avatar

Originally Posted by badcrumble

I wonder if the next 11.1 beta will actually contain emoji/apple pay via imessage/imessage in the cloud.

They've confirmed it'll at least have the new emoji https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...ng-i-love-you/

Beta is out next week.
Mr. Badger
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:24 AM)
Mr. Badger's Avatar
Yeah donít install the public betas for 11.1 and watch 4.1, as these are worse than 11 and 4.

Sheesh.
Have to charge by battery on my iPhone 7 and watch twice a day.
Was completely fine on 11 and 4.
iPaul93
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:01 AM)
iPaul93's Avatar
I just updated to 11.0.2 and my battery drains even faster now.What the hell are they doing?
Lagspike_exe
Member
(10-06-2017, 10:44 AM)
Lagspike_exe's Avatar

Originally Posted by iPaul93

I just updated to 11.0.2 and my battery drains even faster now.What the hell are they doing?

Optimizing 11.1 for iPhone X.
My iPhone 7 has been a mess since updating to 11.0. 11.01 did not help.
boneyjangles
Member
(10-06-2017, 11:27 AM)
boneyjangles's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chance Hale

I ordered an IPad Pro 12.9 but otherwise use android and Windows devices. Are all file transfers and such regulated to iTunes or what?

Lets break down file transfers. I think we all agree that work documents, photos etc all have moved to the cloud/app model for the better, no one micro manages that shit any more.

Your own Music files, - yeah you are going to want to use iTunes, unless you pay for Spotify or whatever.

Also iOS 11 has the files app, which is largely just a central unified 'access all your cloud drives and files' app, but also supports locally stored files, so it might be of interest to you.

But I think what you might be interested is general varied, maybe larger media, such as TV episodes, movies, maybe audio-books or digital comics that you have that don't exist on an official platform?

Back when I had android. I would copy a bunch of this stuff in a lump to my phone, open it with suitable apps.

These days though (and you could say iOS forced my hand), I just have the right app for the right job.

TV eps or movies? I access my AirVideo library, and tap on the movies I want to download local mobile versions of. (AirVideo HD is like Plex, plays everything, can transcode, but much leaner than Plex). I'm never managing files, I just use the AirVideo app to add/remove as I need to.

Comics? Audiobooks? Bunch of options, but most of them have an 'add to library' function, that runs a brief webserver on your phone on, you access it using the browser on the computer your files are on and drop files on to add to the app's library on the phone.

I honestly think this is just a better overall approach to this stuff, but apologies if I'm preaching to the choir or making assumptions here.
Vuze
Member
(10-06-2017, 12:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Mafro

They've confirmed it'll at least have the new emoji https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...ng-i-love-you/

Beta is out next week.

That "shhhh" emoji 👀
Mafro
Member
(10-06-2017, 08:35 PM)
Mafro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vuze

That "shhhh" emoji 👀

I'm gonna get so much use out of it.
VincentMatts
Member
(10-06-2017, 09:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Mafro

They've confirmed it'll at least have the new emoji https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...ng-i-love-you/

Beta is out next week.

How about people actually "beta test" it this time so we dont get another buggy ass update like 11 was?
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(10-06-2017, 10:55 PM)
mrklaw's Avatar
How late do you think itíll be for 'fast' wireless charging? I thought maybe waiting for the X, but could they be really waiting for airpower?
Zeyphersan
Banned
(10-06-2017, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by mrklaw

How late do you think itíll be for 'fast' wireless charging? I thought maybe waiting for the X, but could they be really waiting for airpower?

I thought they said that was coming later this year while AirPower is definitely next year
IISANDERII
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:15 AM)
IISANDERII's Avatar
Fuck this update. I can no longer pause or resume my radio station from the lock screen. Canít enable/disable night colour from the upswipe menu either.

iPad Air something.
Blablurn
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:18 AM)
Blablurn's Avatar
Can't believe how much Apple screwed iPhone owners with the recent updates.
Giolon
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:24 AM)
Giolon's Avatar

Originally Posted by IISANDERII

Fuck this update. I can no longer pause or resume my radio station from the lock screen. Can’t enable/disable night colour from the upswipe menu either.

iPad Air something.

For nightshift, tap and hold on the brightness meter in control center for an expanded menu. Does that not work?
aravuus
Member
(10-07-2017, 09:20 AM)
aravuus's Avatar
Yeah okay, looks like YouTube is doing some weird shit in the background on my iPad too. Itís sitting at 80% battery usage currently. Is there nothing I can do about this?
eyeball_kid
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:29 AM)
eyeball_kid's Avatar

Originally Posted by aravuus

Yeah okay, looks like YouTube is doing some weird shit in the background on my iPad too. Itís sitting at 80% battery usage currently. Is there nothing I can do about this?

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and turn that shit off. Well, turn Youtube off anyway, and any other apps that don't absolutely need constant updates like Weather or Maps.

This goes for everyone. I opened it today and found another app had signed on for background updates. I'd bet that most of the battery complaints are actually coming from 3rd party apps chewing up battery in the background.
aravuus
Member
(10-07-2017, 10:57 AM)
aravuus's Avatar

Originally Posted by eyeball_kid

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and turn that shit off. Well, turn Youtube off anyway, and any other apps that don't absolutely need constant updates like Weather or Maps.

I actually turned that setting off for almost every single app when I got the device (and checked again when I updated to iOS11 (AND rechecked now just to make sure lol)), figured it would probably do more harm than good. It's on for Telegram and Weather only right now.

I manually killed the Youtube app after writing that post, it's sitting at 37% charge now. I'm just gonna let it sit home and see how much it's gone down when I get back in 6 hours or so.
SuperEpicMan
Banned
(10-07-2017, 11:04 AM)
This update is really pissing me off. My phone is constantly freezing between apps to the point where I am having to hard reset my phone 5 or 6 times a day.
Curious Puppy
Banned
(10-07-2017, 11:37 AM)

Originally Posted by SuperEpicMan

This update is really pissing me off. My phone is constantly freezing between apps to the point where I am having to hard reset my phone 5 or 6 times a day.

Buggiest ios release ever. What the fuck happened...
DeathGlobe
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:39 AM)
DeathGlobe's Avatar
My only issue is the phone turns side ways even thought I have it locked
jellies_two
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:40 AM)
After playing around with an iPhone 8 at the store I want to upgrade from my 6 - but won't until iOS 11 is no worse than 10 in terms of stability and battery.
Gunship
Member
(10-07-2017, 12:14 PM)

Originally Posted by jellies_two

After playing around with an iPhone 8 at the store I want to upgrade from my 6 - but won't until iOS 11 is no worse than 10 in terms of stability and battery.

On an 8 Plus 256gb here and not experiencing any of the problems reported in this thread, itís rock solid stable and runs beautifully for me. Couldnít be happier with the 8+.
IISANDERII
Member
(10-07-2017, 03:07 PM)
IISANDERII's Avatar

Originally Posted by Giolon

For nightshift, tap and hold on the brightness meter in control center for an expanded menu. Does that not work?

Oh that does work thanks 🤗
iRAWRasaurus
Banned
(10-07-2017, 06:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Gunship

On an 8 Plus 256gb here and not experiencing any of the problems reported in this thread, itís rock solid stable and runs beautifully for me. Couldnít be happier with the 8+.

I can also confirm that. I just got the 8+ last night and I have no issues with the iOS as of now.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(10-07-2017, 06:31 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

I can also confirm that. I just got the 8+ last night and I have no issues with the iOS as of now.

Same here but my six got absolutely wrecked by it. Battery life, bugs and performance in that order. And what did I do? Rewarded them
aravuus
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:05 PM)
aravuus's Avatar
iPad battery only lost one percent of charge over the last 8-ish hours, so looks like maybe force killing Youtube helped a bit. Weird that it seemed to I guess ignore the "no background stuff please" setting and just do shit without my permission.
giga
Member
(10-07-2017, 07:42 PM)
giga's Avatar
Brilliant.

https://twitter.com/espresso/status/916710718270988288
eyeball_kid
Member
(10-07-2017, 08:02 PM)
eyeball_kid's Avatar

Originally Posted by aravuus

I actually turned that setting off for almost every single app when I got the device (and checked again when I updated to iOS11 (AND rechecked now just to make sure lol)), figured it would probably do more harm than good. It's on for Telegram and Weather only right now.

I manually killed the Youtube app after writing that post, it's sitting at 37% charge now. I'm just gonna let it sit home and see how much it's gone down when I get back in 6 hours or so.

Huh. Well, it's possible that background audio sessions don't fall under the same restriction as the App Refresh setting. If YouTube initiated one of those it could've been burning your battery doing god knows what, with no restriction. I remember it was found a couple years ago that Facebook was doing this as well.
GAMEPROFF
Member
(10-07-2017, 11:57 PM)
GAMEPROFF's Avatar
Is my iPhone 6 supposed to have Landscape Mode now? O.o
Frostinferno
Member
(10-08-2017, 01:10 AM)
Frostinferno's Avatar
So I just noticed that when I get sent messages with the full screen effects in iMessage, it doesnít automatically happen for me. Even more odd, when I tap that refresh button underneath the message, it does nothing. I have to force close iMessage and open it back up for the refresh button to show the effect. Is this a known issue or something specifically with my phone? My girlfriend doesnít have this issue on her phone and we both have the 8+.
Lashley
Why does he wear the mask!?
(10-08-2017, 01:11 AM)
Lashley's Avatar
pls apple, fix the battery

My battery goes down at least 3x quicker now
TheDarkKnight774
Member
(10-08-2017, 01:15 AM)
TheDarkKnight774's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

pls apple, fix the battery

My battery goes down at least 3x quicker now

Yea itís absurd. I wish I looked into it more before just upgrading. I never have been burned like this before by them on os updates
CHC
Member
(10-08-2017, 02:22 PM)
CHC's Avatar
Video volume control in the fucking upper right corner!?

whatisyoudoingbaby.jpg
Hollywood Duo
Member
(10-08-2017, 02:25 PM)
Hollywood Duo's Avatar
This freezing is some bullshit.
Mammoth Jones
Member
(10-08-2017, 02:30 PM)
Mammoth Jones's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

This freezing is some bullshit.

I had to wipe and restore from backup cause that shit was killing me. Still don't know if the issue is fixed. But so far so good.
Hollywood Duo
Member
(10-08-2017, 02:55 PM)
Hollywood Duo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mammoth Jones

I had to wipe and restore from backup cause that shit was killing me. Still don't know if the issue is fixed. But so far so good.

Might have to do that.
Crazyorloco
Member
(10-08-2017, 05:27 PM)
Crazyorloco's Avatar
So can we turn off auto brightness? Iím trying to save as much life as possible. Especially with this update.

Edit:
The setting to turn it off is in accessibility.

Settings, accessibility, Display accommodations.

Youíd think this would be in the display & brightness options 😑
Oxn
Member
(10-08-2017, 05:31 PM)
Oxn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gunship

On an 8 Plus 256gb here and not experiencing any of the problems reported in this thread, itís rock solid stable and runs beautifully for me. Couldnít be happier with the 8+.

Originally Posted by iRAWRasaurus

I can also confirm that. I just got the 8+ last night and I have no issues with the iOS as of now.

11.0.2 is pretty great on my 8+
Vardhan
Member
(10-08-2017, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Crazyorloco

So can we turn off auto brightness? Iím trying to save as much life as possible. Especially with this update.

Edit:
The setting to turn it off is in accessibility.

Settings, accessibility, Display accommodations.

Youíd think this would be in the display & brightness options 😑

Thank you for this! I couldnít, for the life of me, understand why my phone battery was draining.
PetriP-TNT
Member
(10-08-2017, 07:47 PM)
PetriP-TNT's Avatar
Just installed 11.1.0, hopefully this will fix the friggin' freezing and other issues.

I have overslept like 3 times by now due to the alarm clock not ringing when the ringer is silent.
PetriP-TNT
Member
(10-09-2017, 12:37 AM)
PetriP-TNT's Avatar

Originally Posted by PetriP-TNT

Just installed 11.1.0, hopefully this will fix the friggin' freezing and other issues.

I have overslept like 3 times by now due to the alarm clock not ringing when the ringer is silent.

Sigh, itís much better but Chrome just froze the whole thing
Mammoth Jones
Member
(10-09-2017, 12:47 AM)
Mammoth Jones's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

Might have to do that.

I think it's fixed. Since I upgraded my phone would refuse to wake for 30 seconds multiple times a day. And would "black screen-white spinner" once a day. Neither has occurred. And it would have by now.
Hollywood Duo
Member
(10-09-2017, 12:54 AM)
Hollywood Duo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mammoth Jones

I think it's fixed. Since I upgraded my phone would refuse to wake for 30 seconds multiple times a day. And would "black screen-white spinner" once a day. Neither has occurred. And it would have by now.

Excellent. Thanks for the update.
RC
Banned
(10-09-2017, 12:57 AM)
RC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oxn

11.0.2 is pretty great on my 8+

Runs well on my 8+ too, but the battery life is still unimpressive.

Unfortunately my iPad Pro runs a little slower now. Guess it was inevitable.
batrush
Member
(10-09-2017, 12:57 AM)
batrush's Avatar
Don't know if it's because I'm using the Watch + AirPods now, but my 7 is getting like 2 hours less battery than it got on iOS 10. Thought it'd go back up with some time, but after 4 weeks with iOS 11 (got GM early) it's still shit.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(10-09-2017, 03:53 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar
Need some help with iCloud Photo Library.

Iíve decided to let my iPhone optimize its storage and just have the full res pictures stored in the cloud.
Now, does this not reduce my current photo storage? Itís about 12GB on my phone but I expected that to drop as it started to delete and ďoptimizeĒ itself.
However a week later the size is the same.
Compare this to my iPad's photo size which is 800mb.

Does iOS not actually optimize the already full res pictures on the device?
hirokazu
Member
(10-09-2017, 03:58 AM)
hirokazu's Avatar
Sometimes, my morning alarm wouldn't go off on my Watch, which is really annoying if I left my phone in the other room as I'd have to get up to turn it off. Grrrr.
hirokazu
Member
(10-09-2017, 04:00 AM)
hirokazu's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Need some help with iCloud Photo Library.

I’ve decided to let my iPhone optimize its storage and just have the full res pictures stored in the cloud.
Now, does this not reduce my current photo storage? It’s about 12GB on my phone but I expected that to drop as it started to delete and “optimize” itself.
However a week later the size is the same.
Compare this to my iPad's photo size which is 800mb.

Does iOS not actually optimize the already full res pictures on the device?

It probably won't free them until that space is needed or some background maintenance process has time to go through the photos.
Quick
Banned
(10-09-2017, 04:01 AM)
Does anyone know how to delete custom ringtones?

The tones are showing up on my phone, but I've since deleted them from my PC. When I plugged my phone in to iTunes, I selected manually manage my media, and I don't see the tones on the Ringtones section on On My Device.

Edit: Figured it out. This was unnecessarily complicated to figure out.

Thread Tools