• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Anoregon
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:09 PM)
Anoregon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bisnic

With an idea like this, doing 60 to 80 in Northrend only at half the current speed, you'll run out of quests before you even get close to 80. Which would still force you to go into Outlands.

Unless you farm dungeons.

That would totally defeat the purpose, isn't the stated reason behind the idea that they want to let you get from 60-80 entirely in outland OR northrend?
Gentleman Jack
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:15 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

DDOS is going to be fun when warlords launches

Unless it's a bunch of extremely bored millionaires behind the DDoS, their rental period on the botnet will have expired by then,

Not that the auth servers won't get flooded off the internet by actual, paying customers on launch date.
Magnus
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:18 PM)
Magnus's Avatar

One idea that came up was to make both Northrend and Outland a level 60 to 80 zones at half of their current speed and then allowing players to pick one to level through. Making this change would be fairly time consuming, so it is just an idea for now.

It's like someone's been listening! I swear I've been saying this for a year. I wish they'd normalize the XP gain in the block of zones that fit into every group of 10-20 levels and let you pick and choose with each alt; that way you can actually see the full questlines for some zones instead of feeling pressured to always move onto the most lucrative xp granting zones for your level.

After the new character model revamp is done, adding physics and improving the look and feel of combat are options.

JFC. Yes please. Melee has always felt like shit to me in this game.
Kraftwerk
(08-27-2014, 03:18 PM)
Kraftwerk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

Unless it's a bunch of extremely bored millionaires behind the DDoS, their rental period on the botnet will have expired by then,

Not that the auth servers won't get flooded off the internet by actual, paying customers on launch date.

Yeah, servers will be getting hammered regardless on launch.

And regarding thos kids who are doing the DDOs, most of their personal information has been posted on various websites already. It's just a matter of time before they are fucked. You can't just attack billion dollar companies, claim to be connected to ISIS and then send out a false bomb threat on an airplane without any repercussions. The FBI has already started their investigation.

p.s I glanced over their personal info on reddit earlier. One of their main guys literally lives 20 minutes away from me. I should go and fucking punch him in the face.
Last edited by Kraftwerk; 08-27-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Magnus
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:21 PM)
Magnus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bisnic

With an idea like this, doing 60 to 80 in Northrend only at half the current speed, you'll run out of quests before you even get close to 80. Which would still force you to go into Outlands.

Unless you farm dungeons.

It would?

I feel like you barely get through half a zone before you ding enough that it makes sense (from an efficient leveling perspective) to move onto another zone for max xp return on your time invested. I end up leaving half the zones untouched.

I'm assuming heirlooms + guild perks here of course, since those are effectively like baseline now, haha.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:24 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar
honestly when i was leveling in the post cataclysm world i almost wish you could turn on and off XP. to actually finish a zone instead of outleveling it instantly. I remember doing Darkshore and going from 10-20 in 20 quests. the Achievement in that zone? requires all 80+ quests in that zone. its just silly. If you could turn off XP you could go and actually do the quests in Ice Crown if you wanted to, at a level that would be relavent to your character instead of instantly 1 shotting all the grey mobs as you pass by. it wouldnt be for everyone but it would be nice to have the option
RazorbackDB
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:47 PM)
RazorbackDB's Avatar
I think there is a npc in stormwind that turns off xp.
Andiie
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:51 PM)
Andiie's Avatar
There is. It's 10g. In the old pvp queuing room.
For horde it's in the Valley of Honor all the way at the back of Orgrimmar up some stairs. Dunno the name.
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:52 PM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kintaco

Are those DPS rankings in Noxxic accurate!? At 553 should my survival hunter be doing 300k DPS?

Noxxic is a terrible resource full of inaccurate information.

Use Icy-Veins if you need something similar that's not full of lies.

And no, you're not going to be pushing 300k DPS at 553 in all but the most ideal scenario.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(08-27-2014, 03:53 PM)
SargerusBR's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anoregon

BYE OUTLAND SEE YOU NEVER

Oh God this. I really dislike leveling in Outland.

In terms of leveling
Wotlk > Cata 1-60 > MoP> Cata 80-85 > Vanilla >>> BC
Last edited by SargerusBR; 08-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Andiie
Member
(08-27-2014, 03:56 PM)
Andiie's Avatar

Originally Posted by SargerusBR

Oh God this. I really dislike leveling in Outland.

Interms of leveling
Wotlk> Cata 1-60 > MoP> Cata 80-85 > Vanilla >>> BC

I don't know why but I still enjoy leveling in Outland. I only like Northrend more.
strafer
member
(08-27-2014, 03:57 PM)
strafer's Avatar
I love Outland
Kintaco
Member
(08-27-2014, 04:09 PM)
Kintaco's Avatar
I love Outland as well. Get like 15 quests and turn them in all at ones. I dislike the post-Cata quest hubs, ~5 at a time and everything is so linear.
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(08-27-2014, 04:10 PM)
Tamanon's Avatar
Outlands isn't a problem for me. The levels fly by since everything is in batches and the Dungeon quests give such great XP.
lazygecko
Member
(08-27-2014, 04:38 PM)
lazygecko's Avatar
It's probably the largely scripted nature of the post-BC quests that makes leveling from them slower. The older, more barebones quest design allow you to dictate the pace much more and if you're decked out in good gear you can just zoom past them at lightning speed. New school quests often have shit like scripted scenes that must be allowed to play out before you can move on, and sometimes even have kill exp disabled for quest-specific trash mobs for some reason.

This is what really drives me nuts with the Goblin and Worgen starting zones. Sure, they're fun and interesting the first time. But I would never want to put up with that again for several hours when I know I could have gotten past level 10-13 in a heartbeat by questing in the old world.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 05:37 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar

Originally Posted by strafer

I love Outland

I dislike Hellfire and Zangermarsh but actually like Shadowmoon valley and Netherstorm. its a shame you never actually get to quest there on alts now because you outlevel the area by the time you are in Nagrand (if that)
CassSept
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:00 PM)
CassSept's Avatar
Vanilla > TBC in terms of leveling? Oh hell no, hell hell no. Vanilla leveling was a hot mess. The quest design was for the most part horrendous, they were repetitive, uninteresting, non intuitive, not even mentioning the chains that led you all over the world for no reason whatsoever (anyone remembers that chain that had a SINGLE quest in a remote corner of Azshara?) or those that were never finished ('sup Eranikus). There is a reason why Blizz nuked that content.
Anoregon
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:11 PM)
Anoregon's Avatar

Originally Posted by CassSept

Vanilla > TBC in terms of leveling? Oh hell no, hell hell no. Vanilla leveling was a hot mess. The quest design was for the most part horrendous, they were repetitive, uninteresting, non intuitive, not even mentioning the chains that led you all over the world for no reason whatsoever (anyone remembers that chain that had a SINGLE quest in a remote corner of Azshara?) or those that were never finished ('sup Eranikus). There is a reason why Blizz nuked that content.

Yeah, Vanilla leveling had a lot of shit that was abysmally obtuse and inefficient. Outland is pretty crappy by current standards but it is still head and shoulders above vanilla.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:13 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar

Originally Posted by CassSept

Vanilla > TBC in terms of leveling? Oh hell no, hell hell no. Vanilla leveling was a hot mess. The quest design was for the most part horrendous, they were repetitive, uninteresting, non intuitive, not even mentioning the chains that led you all over the world for no reason whatsoever (anyone remembers that chain that had a SINGLE quest in a remote corner of Azshara?) or those that were never finished ('sup Eranikus). There is a reason why Blizz nuked that content.

I heard a long time ago that blizard did the human starting zone first (elwyenn forest -> westfall -> darkshore) which is why those areas were so polished relative to everything else (hi Stitches!) but then realized they'd never have enough time to put that much effort into the rest of the game which is why so many other areas of the game in vanilla were sparse (especially in Kalimdore)
TheYanger
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:15 PM)
TheYanger's Avatar
That shit is just factually wrong. When BC came out that questing felt like The Future™

Then Wrath wandered in and brought in all of the things we consider modern questing to entail.
Loxley
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:32 PM)
Loxley's Avatar

Originally Posted by strafer

Damn, I like this idea.

I'm all in for this.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(08-27-2014, 07:43 PM)
SargerusBR's Avatar

Originally Posted by CassSept

Vanilla > TBC in terms of leveling? Oh hell no, hell hell no. Vanilla leveling was a hot mess. The quest design was for the most part horrendous, they were repetitive, uninteresting, non intuitive, not even mentioning the chains that led you all over the world for no reason whatsoever (anyone remembers that chain that had a SINGLE quest in a remote corner of Azshara?) or those that were never finished ('sup Eranikus). There is a reason why Blizz nuked that content.

I never did those quests involving long travel time, most of the time i abandoned those and went to another area of the same level. Vanilla Barrens was shit though. And about BC i just HATE the first leveling zones (Hellfire, Zang and Terrokar) those zones are just soooooooooo boring.
Tacitus_
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:50 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar
Vanilla leveling was so bad that I downloaded a pdf for an optimized route to level my alts.
Anoregon
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:53 PM)
Anoregon's Avatar
Vanilla questing is perhaps best epitomized in the level 20 shaman water totem quest:

With no mount and much sparser flight paths than are currently available, you had to travel from the central barrens to ashenvale, back to central barrens, then to sepulcher in Silverpine, then I think back to a different part of central barrens, then to southern barrens? I might be forgetting a step.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(08-27-2014, 07:56 PM)
Data West's Avatar
And the mobs guarding the spot in Ashenvale were leve 29-30
Hixx
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:57 PM)
Hixx's Avatar
750 queue!

This is going to be a pain when WoD comes but it's a great realm... decisions to be made.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 07:59 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anoregon

Vanilla questing is perhaps best epitomized in the level 20 shaman water totem quest:

With no mount and much sparser flight paths than are currently available, you had to travel from the central barrens to ashenvale, back to central barrens, then to sepulcher in Silverpine, then I think back to a different part of central barrens, then to southern barrens? I might be forgetting a step.

Reminds me of getting my pets as a warlock back in the day. Those involved a lot of hoofing it, and yeah sure you get a free mount at level 40 but the pet quests were all before that >.<


This is borrowed from here

"this quest line to receive your Fel Hunter, has to have the most running of any quest ever created in this game. First you had to go to Ratchet only to be sent to Ironforge. Even with the help of flight paths, this would still take a fair amount of time just to go from point A to point B.

Then you were given a quest to recover two tomes, one in Hillsbrad while the other one was in Thousand Needles. The one in Hillsbrad was easy enough to find on the coastline where it was guarded by Murlocs. That was simple but the one in Thousand Needles, on the other hand, was a nightmare for me.

This was my first character so I didn't exactly know the names of all the zones. In fact, when I first read that the tome was in Thousand Needles I thought it was the name of an npc so I was very confused. Eventually I learned from a friend that it was a zone south of the Barrens so off I went. When I got there I was amazed to see the sheer drop that awaited me and that I needed to use an elevator to safely enter the zone. Again, this was primarily a horde zone, so there actually was a guard at the elevator that I had to kill every time I passed through there.

The tome for this zone was guarded by centaurs inside of a cave. After running through the cave a bit, I found the tome and promptly hearth stoned out. I remember thinking that after all that trouble the quest must surely be finished. But no...I turned it in in Ironforge and was then given yet another quest to go to the Wetlands.

I was so terribly annoyed but I bucked up and went to the Wetlands to kill some orcs for the rods for the ritual. After finally getting them, I then had to head for Ratchet, summon the Fel Hunter, defeat it, and finally the quest line was over."
Last edited by Felspawn; 08-27-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Bisnic
Really Really Exciting Member!
(08-27-2014, 08:03 PM)
Bisnic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Felspawn

Reminds me of getting my pets as a warlock back in the day. Those involved a lot of hoofing it, and yeah sure you get a free mount at level 40 but the pet quests were all before that >.<

Wasn't there a horde warlock pet quest that asked you to get to Wetlands or something, which is an Alliance zone far far away from Undercity? Back then, you didn't even started doing Arathi Highlands yet I believe.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:07 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar
speaking of pita old school quests i did the Dreadsteed quest TWICE. the one were you ended up in Dire Maul.

I also did the old Paladin epic mount quest. i still remember trying to put a group together for that. i ended up tanking it on my paladin (no small thing back in vanilla, i could only get away with it because of the undead). it was a pain but it really gave a sense of accomplishment when you got it.
Loxley
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:10 PM)
Loxley's Avatar
Leveling a Paladin in vanilla was particularly mind-numbing. Judgment + auto-attack was pretty much all we had in terms of offensive abilities, unless you were lolret and had Seal of Command (which I didn't for the longest time and boy was it a revelation when I discovered it). I suppose reck-bombs were occasionally useful, but going full-Prot for what was essentially a novelty attack wasn't really worth it. Thank god I had complete ignorance during my vanilla leveling days as a Paladin. I figured every class took ages to kill a single non-elite target and it wasn't just Paladins. Ha.

Speaking of reck-bombs, I was reminded of this classic.
Tacitus_
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:11 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Bisnic

Wasn't there a horde warlock pet quest that asked you to get to Wetlands or something, which is an Alliance zone far far away from Undercity? Back then, you didn't even started doing Arathi Highlands yet I believe.

Yup. I think it was the Succubus quest. Had fun trekking through Arathi Highlands while level 20.
Bisnic
Really Really Exciting Member!
(08-27-2014, 08:17 PM)
Bisnic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

Yup. I think it was the Succubus quest. Had fun trekking through Arathi Highlands while level 20.

Or low lvl night elves having to run through Wetlands to reach IF and SW. I think getting killed by one or two crocs wasn't that rare back then. :p
TheYanger
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:19 PM)
TheYanger's Avatar
To be fair, I enjoy the travel aspects of those quests and the 'danger' to an extent. It's more that the quests themselves back then were all kill and gather quests.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:23 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Loxley

Leveling a Paladin in vanilla was particularly mind-numbing. Judgment + auto-attack was pretty much all we had in terms of offensive abilities, unless you were lolret and had Seal of Command (which I didn't for the longest time and boy was it a revelation when I discovered it). I suppose reck-bombs were occasionally useful, but going full-Prot for what was essentially a novelty attack wasn't really worth it. Thank god I had complete ignorance during my vanilla leveling days as a Paladin. I figured every class took ages to kill a single non-elite target and it wasn't just Paladins. Ha.

Speaking of reck-bombs, I was reminded of this classic.

hehe i remember being a lol-ret pally back in those vanilla days, having finally replaced Verigan's Fist (which is still in my bank to this day) with the original version of the ravager oh man that thing was AWESOME with seal of command. pretty much the only time a felt OPered as a paladin in those days
Tacitus_
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:26 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Loxley

Leveling a Paladin in vanilla was particularly mind-numbing. Judgment + auto-attack was pretty much all we had in terms of offensive abilities, unless you were lolret and had Seal of Command (which I didn't for the longest time and boy was it a revelation when I discovered it). I suppose reck-bombs were occasionally useful, but going full-Prot for what was essentially a novelty attack wasn't really worth it. Thank god I had complete ignorance during my vanilla leveling days as a Paladin. I figured every class took ages to kill a single non-elite target and it wasn't just Paladins. Ha.

Speaking of reck-bombs, I was reminded of this classic.

Heh, when I leveled a paladin in BC, I just stocked up on shields and shield spikes, gathered a bunch of mobs and went afk.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:27 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar
on that note i am excited to see Holy Shield return as a level 100 Talent...
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(08-27-2014, 08:29 PM)
Data West's Avatar
The best part of Vanilla/BC Enhancement was that it was absolutely miserable. You felt so shitty, your rotation was recasting Lightning Shield and healing yourself so you didn't die in the simplest of 1 on 1 fights

Then you hit 30
vocab
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:30 PM)
vocab's Avatar
Paladins were so bad in vanilla. You were pretty much only good for raiding (mandatory to be holy), but you sucked everywhere else. I swear to god they implemented eye for an eye for paladins because they felt bad for them. I remember my t1/t2 geared frost mage jumped some paladin when that talent came out, and he never got even close to me, and he got me to 40% just from eye for an eye. Such a dumb talent. Anyone who leveled a pally to 1-60 in vanilla I commend you, but laugh at you for not picking a warrior.
Last edited by vocab; 08-27-2014 at 08:33 PM.
lazygecko
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:36 PM)
lazygecko's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragonzord

The best part of Vanilla/BC Enhancement was that it was absolutely miserable. You felt so shitty, your rotation was recasting Lightning Shield and healing yourself so you didn't die in the simplest of 1 on 1 fights

Then you hit 30

When I was leveling my shaman in vanilla (still my main today) I was elemental, which was even worse. Just before level 40 I respecced to enhancement. Got myself some nice mail loot from Scarlet Monastery, then at around 40 or 41 I managed to clear Uldaman and got the uber slow two-handed mace from there. That thing + windfury was like a revelation. I wiped out an entire alliance questing group in Stromgarde in Arathi Highlands.
Loxley
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:42 PM)
Loxley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

Heh, when I leveled a paladin in BC, I just stocked up on shields and shield spikes, gathered a bunch of mobs and went afk.

I remember when that AoE-leveling technique became possible in BC and every Horde player who'd rolled a Blood Elf Pally was proclaiming, "What are you Alliance cry-babies whining about? Leveling a Paladin is so easy! You just gather up all these mobs and sit back!" Apparently not being aware of the fact that the whole Prot-AoE leveling thing wasn't doable (or at least not nearly as effective) until BC. I wanted to scream at all of them "YEAH IT'S EASY TO LEVEL THEM NOW YOU BUNCH OF BANDWAGON OPPORTUNISTS".

I was still bitter about the Horde getting Paladins to begin with - my beloved class had been soiled!
lazygecko
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:43 PM)
lazygecko's Avatar
My blood boils every time I see a "horde" player refer to Bloodlust as Heroism.
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:48 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar

Originally Posted by vocab

Paladins were so bad in vanilla. You were pretty much only good for raiding (mandatory to be holy), but you sucked everywhere else. I swear to god they implemented eye for an eye for paladins because they felt bad for them. I remember my t1/t2 geared frost mage jumped some paladin when that talent came out, and he never got even close to me, and he got me to 40% just from eye for an eye. Such a dumb talent. Anyone who leveled a pally to 1-60 in vanilla I commend you, but laugh at you for not picking a warrior.


as someone that did suffer through that i can confirm it really was that awful. even with the improvements in TBC (prot being useful finally) switching to a DK in Wrath was a revalation. Finally a class for me. (that said i still have and play that same paladin to this day) I really do wonder what my time in Vanilla wow would have been like if i hadnt been such a noob and rolled a Warrior....
Felspawn
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:49 PM)
Felspawn's Avatar

Originally Posted by lazygecko

My blood boils every time I see a "horde" player refer to Bloodlust as Heroism.

I play alliance and its still Bloodlust as far as i'm concerned.....
strafer
member
(08-27-2014, 08:52 PM)
strafer's Avatar

Originally Posted by lazygecko

My blood boils every time I see a "horde" player refer to Bloodlust as Heroism.

I always yell TRAITOR! when I see that. :P
Bisnic
Really Really Exciting Member!
(08-27-2014, 08:53 PM)
Bisnic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Felspawn

I play alliance and its still Bloodlust as far as i'm concerned.....

nah, in the many alliance LFRs i've done, most people just say "hero".
lazygecko
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:54 PM)
lazygecko's Avatar

Originally Posted by strafer

I always yell TRAITOR! when I see that. :P

Everyone in the group/raid should gasp in unison, point at the perpetrator and chant "outsider!"
Tacitus_
Member
(08-27-2014, 08:58 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Loxley

I remember when that AoE-leveling technique became possible in BC and every Horde player who'd rolled a Blood Elf Pally was proclaiming, "What are you Alliance cry-babies whining about? Leveling a Paladin is so easy! You just gather up all these mobs and sit back!" Apparently not being aware of the fact that the whole Prot-AoE leveling thing wasn't doable (or at least not nearly as effective) until BC. I wanted to scream at all of them "YEAH IT'S EASY TO LEVEL THEM NOW YOU BUNCH OF BANDWAGON OPPORTUNISTS".

I was still bitter about the Horde getting Paladins to begin with - my beloved class had been soiled!

If it makes you feel better, I named my belf "Lorelol"
Loxley
Member
(08-27-2014, 09:01 PM)
Loxley's Avatar

Originally Posted by vocab

Paladins were so bad in vanilla. You were pretty much only good for raiding (mandatory to be holy), but you sucked everywhere else. I swear to god they implemented eye for an eye for paladins because they felt bad for them. I remember my t1/t2 geared frost mage jumped some paladin when that talent came out, and he never got even close to me, and he got me to 40% just from eye for an eye. Such a dumb talent. Anyone who leveled a pally to 1-60 in vanilla I commend you, but laugh at you for not picking a warrior.

Heh, the reason I picked a paladin over a warrior was almost solely because paladins could heal themselves, not just others. I had come from City of Heroes (RIP), where the very concept of solo'ing your way through just about anything was laughable - at least at the time. So the concept of class that could not only wear heavy armor like warriors but could also heal like priests and dish out damage (and as such was a very solo-friendly class) was very attractive to me. My mind was blown when I healed myself out of combat for the first time, it was just so convenient.

Obviously, reality set in over time that Paladins were not, in fact, quite as kick-ass as they'd sounded in the class description. But I still loved playing my paladin regardless. Whenever I'd mess around with a warrior or rogue alt, I'd miss my healing/buffing abilities. When I'd play a priest or a mage, I missed my defensive abilities and heavy armor. Ever since vanilla WoW, I've always gone for the paladin/crusader class in every RPG. Heck I even waited to start playing Diablo 3 until the crusader was introduced - and I'm having a blast.
ampere
Member
(08-27-2014, 09:28 PM)
ampere's Avatar
Vanilla questing was so disjointed you almost had to use Thottbot. It was fun as hell at the time, but quests would send you all over the place with very little indication of the goal.

Originally Posted by TheYanger

To be fair, I enjoy the travel aspects of those quests and the 'danger' to an extent. It's more that the quests themselves back then were all kill and gather quests.

That and the 'mystery' feeling from the game being new. It was 'wow I've never played anything this vast before!' At least for me, it was really my first MMO.
strafer
member
(08-27-2014, 09:30 PM)
strafer's Avatar

Originally Posted by ciaossu

Vanilla questing was so disjointed you almost had to use Thottbot. It was fun as hell at the time, but quests would send you all over the place with very little indication of the goal.

I used Thottbot for most of the quests in The Barrens...that place was huge.

And no damn mount until 40.

Thread Tools