View Single Post
Ralemont
not me
(11-07-2016, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by ffejeromdiks

The conversation with Sovereign is better written than anything that takes place in 2 or 3, the series never managed to reach that height ever again, in fact the series actually ended up retconning Sovereign's excellent dialogue in the sequels.

I know it's a controversial opinion, but I find the combat of ME1 while unquestionably jank as fuck, to be more interesting than any of the encounters in 2/3. Playing a shitty gears of war clone is not exactly what got me interested in the series, I might agree with you if there wasn't SO much of the same repetitive combat it in 2/3, to the point where level design became exclusively linear, funneling you through hour long sub-par TPS levels until you can get to the next piece of story. I feel like an encounter in ME1 could play out in many different ways depending on your choices, I remember outsmarting my enemies and getting myself out of tricky situations, where in 2/3 I just remember one infinite loop of take cover, shoot repeat ad nausieum, and the abilities didn't really change that, the game still played the exact same as a different class.

It's worth mentioning, I've replayed ME1 3 times, twice on 360 and once on PC years later, and I would definitely say it wasn't until I played it with a mouse and keyboard where I actually found myself thoroughly enjoying the combat, which blew me away at the time, as I always thought (like most of you) that ME1's combat was irredeemable trash, to find myself enjoying it was pretty surreal, I even ended up doing a lot of the combat-heavy side quests purely for the fun of it. Having every ability on a hotkey definitely felt like it was the intended way to play it, to the point where I'm shocked I even beat it in the first place, the way it plays on a controller feels terrible and stifles improvisation.

Agreed ME1 combat feels a lot better with KB&M, mostly because you need a mouse's precision to mitigate the clunky aiming and shooting.

I can think of plenty moments in 2/3 that I think are written better than the Sovereign convo, though perhaps not as epic. Plenty of character scenes like Javik's convos, Mordin's loyalty mission, Thane's prayer in ME3, Eve talking about her stillborn/krogan female struggles, Legion explaining the geth in ME2 convos, the integration of Tali's romance into Rannoch, the final convos with your squadmates on Earth, the Leviathan convo at the end of that DLC, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Sovereign in general though. I feel his lines are super generic and blustery.